Xiphos 4.0.6

Karl Kleinpaste-2
https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/releases/tag/4.0.6

Re: Xiphos 4.0.6

Karl Kleinpaste-2
BTW...  I had a couple reports of Xiphos under Win10 crashing in the previous release, both 32- and 64-bit builds. I am unable to reproduce this.  I have Win10 on my desk at work and on my woman's laptop, and Win7 in a VBox VM, and have no trouble with Xiphos on any of these.

If you see such a failure with the new 4.0.6, please let me know, and please spend some time to analyze exactly where you are and what you're doing when it happens.  I need precision, apparently, if I'm going to find a cause.

Re: Xiphos 4.0.6

Thanks, Karl.

In the Windows edition, for Xiphos 4.0.6 Help About, the copyright date range still ends with 2016. You may wish to fix this.

(It was still like this in 4.0.5 - though I forgot to report it when I first noticed.)

btw. I might help users if the Help About also indicated whether they had installed the x32 or x64 edition.

Are there any special instructions for installing the x64 edition, for a Windows user that had previously installed the x32 edition?

I've played safe, having just installed the x32 edition again in my Win7 x64 PC.

cf. As in your Release page...

  • win32 works on 32- and 64-bit systems; this format is older/safer.
  • win64 is available but mis-installs in "\Program Files (x86)"
     fix this manually for now when install dialog offers.

Best regards,

Re: Xiphos 4.0.6

Karl Kleinpaste-2
On 08/11/2017 09:43 AM, David Haslam wrote:
Are there any special instructions for installing the x64 edition, for a
Windows user that had previously installed the x32 edition?
It's some sort of stupid glitch in the NSIS file that I've never figured out.  It insists on going to the wrong directory. In practice, it doesn't matter. If it bothers you, move \Program Files (x86)\Crosswire into \Program Files, but shortcut files on your desktop will also have to be updated as well via Properties dialogs.

I'm not sure the build knows whether it's being built 32- or 64-bit, but I'll look.