Quantcast

Xiphos 4.0.5

Karl Kleinpaste-2
An act of desperation.

A week or so ago, I was informed of a heinous first-time user module manager bug.  This has been lurking for some 18 months; I am alarmed that no one noticed or reported it sooner. This release is for that fix; no significant new capability.

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/releases/tag/4.0.5

There are my usual distribution formats: source tar.gz, Fedora RPM, Win 32/64 .exe (32 recommended), Ubuntu binary tree tar.gz (until packager gets around to *.deb).

My other desperation is that we haven't had an engine release in 2.5 years.

--karl

Release 4.0.5

- ReadAloud: Speak verse# only if we are showing verse# in text as well.
- Fix crash caused by lack of collator during mod.mgr in first run.

Re: Xiphos 4.0.5

Hi Karl,

New release recorded in https://crosswire.org/wiki/Frontends:Xiphos#Release_history

What's the reason to recommend the x32 edition for users who (like me) have Windows 7 x64 ?

Have you had any useful feedback from users of the x64 edition?

Does not the recommendation itself forestall getting further feedback from potential users who have suitable PCs?

Best regards,

Re: Xiphos 4.0.5

Hi Karl,

The splash screen still sports "Copyright © 2000-2016 Xiphos Development Team"

Suggest update it to read "Copyright © 2000-2017 Xiphos Development Team"

Blessings,

Re: Xiphos 4.0.5

This is just a friendly observation, not a complaint.

A "first-time user" might be confused by the fact that the Xiphos Help is so old that it still points users to get online help from

gnomesword-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Is that still being used since you moved to GitHub?

The Manual is seven years old, and there's not been any update forthcoming from the "Xiphos Team" since....

This manual describes version 4.0.0 of Xiphos.

Copyright © 2003, 2010 The Xiphos Team

Best regards,

Re: Xiphos 4.0.5

Karl Kleinpaste-2
On 04/24/2017 05:26 AM, David Haslam wrote:
Is that still being used since you moved to GitHub?
I can't find gnomesword-users anywhere in my Xiphos tree.  Tell me where you see it.
The Manual is seven years old, and there's not been any update forthcoming
from the "Xiphos Team" since....

No, the manual is not 7 years old; it had substantial update at the time of av11n and 4.0. Yup, version stamps and timestamps are out of date.  Maybe I'll deal sometime soon.  I hadn't done a copyright update because of there having been so little activity.

Re: Xiphos 4.0.5

David Haslam
It's indirect, in that the Xiphos help options include a link to the Manual, and the Manual has links to the gnomesword-users list.