Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
When I tried today to validate an OSIS XML file to
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
I found a page that tells me that ForMinistry.com is Closed.

? Anyone know what on earth has happened to http://www.bibletechnologies.net/

Am I the first person in CrossWire to encounter this ?

Best regards,

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
At least whoever made the change hasn't wiped clean the Wayback Machine!

http://web.archive.org/web/20131124193134/http://www.bibletechnologies.net/

There are also a few snapshots in January 2014, but I didn't bother to check these yet.

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

Sebastien Koechlin-5
On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 02:23:55AM -0800, David Haslam wrote:
> When I tried today to validate an OSIS XML file to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
> I found a page that tells me that *ForMinistry.com is Closed*.
>
> ? Anyone know what on earth has happened to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/

According to whois, the domain have been updated on 14-jan-2014. I don't
know what happened, but I have a copy of osisCore.2.1.1.xsd and I can send
it to you or put it on the wiki (for example) where everybody can use it.

--
Seb, autocuiseur

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
Several developers have a local copy already. Some even prefer it for speed.

The point is that usfm2osis.py generates the full line 2 as follows:

<osis xmlns="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd">

So even with a local copy, we'd each need to edit this line to use a local copy - every time we need to validate an OSIS file.

Or, of course, we could each modify our downloaded copy of usfm2osis.py as a temporary workaround, for making new OSIS files.

A permanent solution would be better than an ad hoc workaround.

Best regards,

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

To shorten the URL, this link redirects to the last known good snapshot...

http://bit.ly/1dpXfeD

This is only useful for the purpose of browsing the old site, including downloads.

Can't use it with the schema definition line of an XML file.
i.e. This is not part of a solution.

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

Kahunapule Michael Johnson-2
On 02/05/2014 12:23 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> When I tried today to validate an OSIS XML file to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
> I found a page that tells me that *ForMinistry.com is Closed*.
>
> ? Anyone know what on earth has happened to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/
>
> Am I the first person in CrossWire to encounter this ?

It was there last week.

You can use http://ebible.org/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd to validate an OSIS file. The file is identical. It is work to change the many references, but there is an alternative.

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
With what does one replace the two instances in the validation line
where the namespace was on the lost domain?

"http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace"

I'm not sufficiently XML savvy to know how.

On 02/05/2014 12:29 PM, David Haslam wrote:
With what does one replace the two instances in the validation line
where the namespace was on the lost domain?

"http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace"

The namespace can remain the same. It doesn't actually have to resolve to anything. It is just a unique string to avoid name collisions between elements from different schemas. If that seems too strange, you can safely change it to
http://ebible.org/2003/OSIS/namespace
and it will still work. Thus, if you want to globally replace "www.bibletechnologies.net" with "ebible.org", changing both the schema location and the namespace, it will work. (You can include an extra "www." in front of eBible.org, too, and it will still work, for both the namespace and the OSIS schema, but the 4 extra characters aren't needed.) Although the automated validation process doesn't retrieve any information from the namespace URI, it is kind of nice if it actually goes somewhere meaningful for a human visitor. In the case of http://ebible.org/2003/OSIS/namespace, it will present something human readable.

The important parts of the remnants of the old BibleTechnologies.net site have been preserved at
http://eBible.org/osis/
i.e. the OSIS manual, the OSIS schema, a stable schema location, and a link to the old site on the wayback machine. I'm not sure how long the wayback machine link might remain useful, but I suspect that the traffic will be low enough that the hosts of the wayback machine won't mind keeping it up for a while. If that goes away, though, the manual and schema should still be on eBible.org.

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
Thanks, Michael.

I had wondered how things worked for offline validation when the namespace specifiers were remote.

Your explanation is the first one that has satisfied my thirst for understanding.

Presently, I will document your provisional arrangement in our wiki page
http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Tutorial#The_Root_Element

Best regards,

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

Upon checking, I found that simply to replace "www.bibletechnologies.net" with "ebible.org"
still gives an error.

Validation of current file using XML schema:

ERROR: Element '{http://ebible.org/2003/OSIS/namespace}osis': No matching global declaration available for the validation root.

I have therefore asked Michael to investigate.

On 02/06/2014 02:14 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Upon checking, I found that simply to replace "www.bibletechnologies.net"
> with "ebible.org"
> still gives an error.
>
> Validation of current file using XML schema:
>
> ERROR: Element '{http://ebible.org/2003/OSIS/namespace}osis': No matching
> global declaration available for the validation root.

Alas, but you are right. That is because the namespace has to match that given in osisCore.2.1.1.xsd, which is "http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace".
Thus, you can't just globally replace "www.bibletechnologies.net" with "ebible.org" but must be more selective about replacing just "http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd" with "http://ebible.org/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd" in OSIS documents for validation to continue to work. Use of the bibletechnologies.net domain name in this way should not be a problem.

To get rid of the bibletechnologies.net domain name altogether would require editing the OSIS schema, which we could do, but I think there is value in just keeping as much the same as we can, at least for now.

Sorry about the earlier misstatement.

Shalom,
Michael

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

Chris Little-2
On 2/5/2014 2:23 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> When I tried today to validate an OSIS XML file to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
> I found a page that tells me that *ForMinistry.com is Closed*.
>
> ? Anyone know what on earth has happened to
> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/
>
> Am I the first person in CrossWire to encounter this ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> David

We are hosting a mirror of the OSIS schema & manual at
http://www.crosswire.org/osis/

In the event that the BTG website is not brought back online, I'll
modify usfm2osis.py to point to our mirror. As it is, usfm2osis.py
contains a full copy of the OSIS 2.1.1 for when it performs validation.
(David, I don't think this helps you at all since validation requires
lxml and I don't know if it works in Windows.)

I've sent an inquiry about whether any of the OSIS folks still have a
contact within ABS who could put the site back up. But this isn't the
first time the BTG site has gone down, inclining me to think ABS may not
be the best hosts for the site or anything requiring long-term stability.

--Chris

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

DM Smith-5

On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Chris Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/5/2014 2:23 AM, David Haslam wrote:
>> When I tried today to validate an OSIS XML file to
>> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
>> I found a page that tells me that *ForMinistry.com is Closed*.
>>
>> ? Anyone know what on earth has happened to
>> http://www.bibletechnologies.net/
>>
>> Am I the first person in CrossWire to encounter this ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> David
>
> We are hosting a mirror of the OSIS schema & manual at
> http://www.crosswire.org/osis/
>
> In the event that the BTG website is not brought back online, I'll modify usfm2osis.py to point to our mirror. As it is, usfm2osis.py contains a full copy of the OSIS 2.1.1 for when it performs validation. (David, I don't think this helps you at all since validation requires lxml and I don't know if it works in Windows.)
>
> I've sent an inquiry about whether any of the OSIS folks still have a contact within ABS who could put the site back up. But this isn't the first time the BTG site has gone down, inclining me to think ABS may not be the best hosts for the site or anything requiring long-term stability.

Troy has also sent an email.

-- DM

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Where has the OSIS validation schema gone?

David Haslam
I left a message at the ABS contact form on 5 Feb. Just had a nice reply.

It's back. :)

http://www.bibletechnologies.net/

Blessings,