Verse ranges...

refdoc
I am sure this has been discussed in the past, but it would be good if our software had a good and clear way of showing a verse is part of a range. At the moment the engine does not feed this back. Or does it?

A further, related problem are reordered verses. Some translators reorder verses for ease of understanding. The we deal with this is to make a range covering the area of weirdness. I think this is not fully satisfactory.

Peter

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Re: Verse ranges...

David Haslam
A further related problem is what to do when a translator provides both the shorter ending (found in critical texts) and the longer ending of Mark 16 (found in the TR).

A printed book can have two different verse 8, but a electronic Bible has certain difficulties with this notion, not one supported adequately by OSIS variants.

Re: Verse ranges...

Greg Hellings

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:
A further related problem is what to do when a translator provides both the
shorter ending (found in critical texts) and the longer ending of Mark 16
(found in the TR).

A printed book can have two different verse 8, but a electronic Bible has
certain difficulties with this notion, not one supported adequately by OSIS
variants.

This is a completely separate technical problem with no easy solution yet proposed. And it affects far more than just the ending of Mark, as some translations will do this throughout the Old Testament books of Daniel and Esther as well (notably the print version of the Jerusalem Bible I have, which numbers both the Protestant and Catholic verse numbers throughout the differing portions of the text. The Jerusalem Bible is under copyright, but I would be surprised if it did not, in some way, show up in other specialized types of translations).

--Greg