Ubuntu 12.04 ....

12

Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Barry Drake-4
I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts.  I
used to like having both frontends available.  I just wondered if folk
were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
soon?

God bless,        Barry.

--
 From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East
Midlands Synod of the United Reformed Church.  See

Replies - [hidden email]

SWORD 1.7

Troy A. Griffitts
I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and
hope to push out a new release of SWORD.

Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start
planning.

o I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current filter
sets.  Any update or news on that?

o This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters, though
they are mostly just a stub right now.  I think I converted Words of
Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but they were
meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin XHTML-izing
them.  Any frontend develops up for morphing these things into something
you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other frontend developers
to be sure they are happy with the results, as well?  Collaboration is
important on this one.

o We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers.  The
original author of these hasn't been around for a while.  I can look
into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on this
one.  This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to start
getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.

o We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or
something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have
forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in
#sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)

I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is
entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs

But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked about.

Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!

Troy

On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
> soon?
>
> God bless, Barry.

Re: SWORD 1.7

DM Smith-5
There's a problem that osis2mod won't compress anymore. Same w tei2mod.

Cent from my fone so theer mite be tipos. ;)

On Apr 21, 2012, at 3:59 PM, "Troy A. Griffitts" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and hope to push out a new release of SWORD.
>
> Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start planning.
>
> o    I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current filter sets.  Any update or news on that?
>
> o    This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters, though they are mostly just a stub right now.  I think I converted Words of Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but they were meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin XHTML-izing them.  Any frontend develops up for morphing these things into something you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other frontend developers to be sure they are happy with the results, as well?  Collaboration is important on this one.
>
> o    We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers.  The original author of these hasn't been around for a while.  I can look into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on this one.  This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to start getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.
>
> o    We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in #sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)
>
> I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs
>
> But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked about.
>

> Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!
>
> Troy
>

> On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
>> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
>> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
>> soon?
>>
>> God bless, Barry.

Re: SWORD 1.7

Gary Holmlund

> o    We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in #sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)
Troy,

I reported this bug on this list about a month ago. I just entered a bug
report about it (API-151). It is reproducible with a small program I
attached to the bug.

Also, I am investigating a problem in BibleTime where it sometimes can't
unlock a module. It appears  to be a sword problem. I will try to get
more information to you in the next few days.

Gary Holmlund

Re: SWORD 1.7

Troy A. Griffitts
Thanks Gary!  That's awesome!  I'll let you know what I find.

On 04/22/2012 03:30 AM, Gary Holmlund wrote:

>> o We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or
>> something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have
>> forgotten the details on this one. I think we talked about it in
>> #sword. I couldn't find a message thread)
> Troy,
>
> I reported this bug on this list about a month ago. I just entered a bug
> report about it (API-151). It is reproducible with a small program I
> attached to the bug.
>
> Also, I am investigating a problem in BibleTime where it sometimes can't
> unlock a module. It appears to be a sword problem. I will try to get
> more information to you in the next few days.
>
> Gary Holmlund

Re: SWORD 1.7

Nic Carter

My requests for v1.7?

- Install Manager can download ZIP files from repos via HTTP.
- proxy support for the install manager, both FTP & HTTP.
- (new request) can we have the install manager conf file located in a random location & have the downloaded module conf files stored in a different location?  Say I want to have my repos conf file stored somewhere permanent but the downloaded conf files for the modules saved to /var/tmp, is that currently possible?  I gather they need to be in the same location atm?
- (question) is there a way to retrieve a listings of all the headings in a chapter/book of the Bible?  Would be cool if there was an easy way to grab that listing and then allow users to navigate directly to that heading in that book.  eg: in the ESV, if I'm in Ephesians, would be cool to be able to jump straight to the "One in Christ" section.  Good for that time when you're wanting to look up a certain verse about "something something" and you can quickly navigate via section headings rather than do a Bible search?  Not too fussed about this, cause I can implement it myself in PS when I eventually gain permission (prayer still accepted and appreciated with regards to getting that permission, btw!) to continue working on it from my employer, but I was thinking it may be a fun thing to be in the backend to allow any front-end to be able to do this? [or is this where someone posts 3 lines and shows that it's pathetically easy with everything that's already there?]
- I can hopefully find time to sort out what changes I have made to filters, as I have switched over to span tags for quite a few bits and pieces.  I won't even possibly have time until the end of May, tho, so perhaps it's not something we should hope I may get to before you'll be wanting to lock down a v1.7.0 release?

anyway, how loud do you want me to be?

ZIP FILES OVER HTTP
HTTP DOWNLOAD OF ZIPPED MODULES
DOWNLOAD IN ZIP FORMAT VIA HTTP OF MODULES

I'll go run away now and continue work on this Children's Lit assignment.  :)  picture books are generally much more fun than code...  ;)

Thanks, ybic
        nic...  :)

On 22/04/2012, at 5:59 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and hope to push out a new release of SWORD.
>
> Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start planning.
>
> o I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current filter sets.  Any update or news on that?
>
> o This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters, though they are mostly just a stub right now.  I think I converted Words of Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but they were meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin XHTML-izing them.  Any frontend develops up for morphing these things into something you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other frontend developers to be sure they are happy with the results, as well?  Collaboration is important on this one.
>
> o We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers.  The original author of these hasn't been around for a while.  I can look into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on this one.  This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to start getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.
>
> o We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in #sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)
>
> I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs
>
> But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked about.
>

> Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!
>
> Troy
>

> On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
>> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
>> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
>> soon?
>>
>> God bless, Barry.

Re: SWORD 1.7

Stephan
Hi,
> - Install Manager can download ZIP files from repos via HTTP.
> - proxy support for the install manager, both FTP&  HTTP.

> ZIP FILES OVER HTTP
> HTTP DOWNLOAD OF ZIPPED MODULES
> DOWNLOAD IN ZIP FORMAT VIA HTTP OF MODULES

+10

Stephan

> On 22/04/2012, at 5:59 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
>> I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and hope to push out a new release of SWORD.
>>
>> Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start planning.
>>
>> o I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current filter sets.  Any update or news on that?
>>
>> o This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters, though they are mostly just a stub right now.  I think I converted Words of Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but they were meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin XHTML-izing them.  Any frontend develops up for morphing these things into something you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other frontend developers to be sure they are happy with the results, as well?  Collaboration is important on this one.
>>
>> o We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers.  The original author of these hasn't been around for a while.  I can look into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on this one.  This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to start getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.
>>
>> o We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in #sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)
>>
>> I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs
>>
>> But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked about.
>>

>> Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!
>>
>> Troy
>>

>> On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
>>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
>>> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
>>> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
>>> soon?
>>>
>>> God bless, Barry.

Re: SWORD 1.7 (proxy, zip cache)

Troy A. Griffitts
Any takers to implement these 2 items.

To summarize an old and long discussion on this request, and what we agreed on...

It is important to note exactly what this request entails and they are two very different requests.

Adding proxy support to installmgr might be easy if all our transport class implementations support such.

Adding the ability to use a module cache of zip files does not add any new functionality for the user of the api or the end user of a frontend. It detrimentally adds possibility for out of sync data between actual module data and the .zip bundle, and is additional work for the remote repository maintainer. Our current implementation, which allows simply any installed module to be accessible as-is via installmgr, all network infrastructure being sound, is more beneficial to end users and module maintainers than this requested additional download option.

Having said this, I understand and sympathize with Nic's use case: PocketSword accommodating for poor mobile network infrastructures.

We agreed to provide this functionality as module repository optional cache, similar to mods.d.tar.gz; everything works fine if not present; if the requested module has a .zip bundle cache object, then use it, otherwise download the individual files of the module, as we currently do.

So, any takers?

Troy

Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
> - Install Manager can download ZIP files from repos via HTTP.
> - proxy support for the install manager, both FTP& HTTP.

> ZIP FILES OVER HTTP
> HTTP DOWNLOAD OF ZIPPED MODULES
> DOWNLOAD IN ZIP FORMAT VIA HTTP OF MODULES

+10

Stephan

> On 22/04/2012, at 5:59 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
>> I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and hope to push out a new release of SWORD.
>>
>> Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start planning.
>>
>> o I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current filter sets. Any update or news on that?
>>
>> o This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters, though they are mostly just a stub right now. I think I converted Words of Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but they were meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin XHTML-izing them. Any frontend develops up for morphing these things into something you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other frontend developers to be sure they are happy with the results, as well? Collaboration is important on this one.
>>
>> o We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers. The original author of these hasn't been around for a while. I can look into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on this one. This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to start getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.
>>
>> o We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have forgotten the details on this one. I think we talked about it in #sword. I couldn't find a message thread)
>>
>> I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs
>>
>> But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked about.
>>

>> Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!
>>
>> Troy
>>

>> On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
>>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
>>> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
>>> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
>>> soon?
>>>
>>> God bless, Barry.
>>>

>> sword-devel mailing list: [hidden email]

Re: SWORD 1.7

Hi Troy,

Please add support for a new GlobalOptionFilter=OSISDictionary (as used in xulsword).

Our friend John Austin can provide the necessary code.

http://code.google.com/p/xulsword/

This feature enables glossary or dictionary links in Bible modules to be toggled on/off by front-ends.

It's brilliant.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Karl Kleinpaste-2
Barry Drake <[hidden email]> writes:
> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts.

I wasn't aware, but you'll have to be more specific: What sort of
dependency conflicts?  What does apt-get complain about?

Re: [bt-devel] SWORD 1.7 - Strongs numbers

Daniel Owens-2
There is a disambiguation problem for Strongs numbers. This may be a
markup question, but the engine cannot connect H0001 and 00001. The
current Strong's TEI file has the former but all other modules have the
latter. As a consequence the BDBGlosses_Strongs does not currently work
with any Bible module. It would be nice if the engine could work this
connection out. Otherwise all modules need to conform to the same standard.

Daniel

On 04/21/2012 02:59 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I have 2 weeks off back home in Phoenix at the beginning of May and
> hope to push out a new release of SWORD.
>
> Can people speak up regarding any outstanding issues so I can start
> planning.
>
> o    I know we are at an odd place with trunk osis2mod and current
> filter sets.  Any update or news on that?
>
> o    This is the first thread which supports the new XHTML filters,
> though they are mostly just a stub right now.  I think I converted
> Words of Christ over to use a span and maybe a couple other tags, but
> they were meant for the frontends who would like to use them to begin
> XHTML-izing them.  Any frontend develops up for morphing these things
> into something you'll commit to use and collaborate with the other
> frontend developers to be sure they are happy with the results, as
> well?  Collaboration is important on this one.
>
> o    We had a bug regarding size limits somewhere in the z drivers.
> The original author of these hasn't been around for a while.  I can
> look into this, but I don't have much of an advantage over others on
> this one.  This would be a good bug to track down if you'd like to
> start getting your feet wet deep in internals of the engine code.
>
> o    We still have an outstanding bug report with TOP going to Malachi
> or something like this in a certain Bible module (I'm old and have
> forgotten the details on this one.  I think we talked about it in
> #sword.  I couldn't find a message thread)
>
> I'll scan the bug tracker, so be sure every issue you know about is
> entered there: http://crosswire.org/bugs
>
> But also be loud if you don't see your favorite bug fixed or talked
> about.
>

> Thanks for any constructive help you can lend for this release!
>
> Troy
>

> On 04/21/2012 09:29 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts. I
>> used to like having both frontends available. I just wondered if folk
>> were aware of the current situation and whether this will alter any time
>> soon?
>>
>> God bless, Barry.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Chris Little-2
On 04/22/2012 06:46 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Barry Drake<[hidden email]>  writes:
>> I just discovered that Bibletime and Xiphos can't be installed together
>> from the Ubuntu packages for 12.04 because of dependency conflicts.
>
> I wasn't aware, but you'll have to be more specific: What sort of
> dependency conflicts?  What does apt-get complain about?

I don't observe any problem installing or running BibleTime & Xiphos on
12.04.

--Chris

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Barry Drake-4
On 23/04/12 02:46, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> I wasn't aware, but you'll have to be more specific: What sort of
> dependency conflicts? What does apt-get complain about?

Specifically, the packages offered under 12.04 use libsword8 for
BibleTime and libsword9 for Xiphos.  If BibleTime is installed first,
apt-get gives:
~$ sudo apt-get install xiphos
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
   libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libsword-common libsword9 xiphos-data
Suggested packages:
   sword-text
The following packages will be REMOVED
   bibletime libsword8
The following NEW packages will be installed
   libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libsword-common libsword9 xiphos xiphos-data
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/5,108 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,543 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Continuing (obviously) kills BibleTime.  If the process is done
installing Xiphos first, apt-get refuses to replace the later libsword
with the earlier one and fails to install.  It is clearly a packaging
problem - we just need a packaged version of a later build of BibleTime.

God bless,        Barry.

--
 From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East

On 23/04/12 06:44, Chris Little wrote:
> I don't observe any problem installing or running BibleTime & Xiphos
> on 12.04.

I'm assuming you are not using the packaged binaries from the 12.04
repos since Xiphos was packaged with libsword9?

God bless,        Barry.

--
 From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East
Midlands Synod of the United Reformed Church.  See
http://www.urc5.org.uk/index for information about the synod, and
http://www.urc5.org.uk/?q=node/703 for the Synod Healing pages.

Replies - [hidden email]

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
do not mix PPAs with official archive.

What do

$ apt-cache policy bibletime

$ apt-cache policy xiphos

$ apt-cache policy libsword-dev

Say?

On 23 April 2012 09:57, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/04/12 02:46, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't aware, but you'll have to be more specific: What sort of
>> dependency conflicts? What does apt-get complain about?
>

> Specifically, the packages offered under 12.04 use libsword8 for BibleTime
> and libsword9 for Xiphos.  If BibleTime is installed first, apt-get gives:
> ~$ sudo apt-get install xiphos
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>  libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libsword-common libsword9 xiphos-data
> Suggested packages:
>  sword-text
> The following packages will be REMOVED
>  bibletime libsword8
> The following NEW packages will be installed
>  libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libsword-common libsword9 xiphos xiphos-data
> 0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/5,108 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 5,543 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> Continuing (obviously) kills BibleTime.  If the process is done installing
> Xiphos first, apt-get refuses to replace the later libsword with the earlier
> one and fails to install.  It is clearly a packaging problem - we just need
> a packaged version of a later build of BibleTime.
>

> God bless,        Barry.
>
> --
> From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East
> Midlands Synod of the United Reformed Church.  See
> http://www.urc5.org.uk/index for information about the synod, and
> http://www.urc5.org.uk/?q=node/703 for the Synod Healing pages.
>
> Replies - [hidden email]

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Barry Drake-4
On 23/04/12 12:11, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> do not mix PPAs with official archive.

I understand that.  What I'm doing is reporting that there is a problem
in the packages held in Ubuntu 12.04 repo.  I'm asking whoever is
responsible for submissions to Ubuntu to get things up to date as soon
as possible.  I know the official packages are OK but 12.04 is released
on Thursday of this week so I'm doing some final testing!  The new user
of 12.04 is NOT going to look for the official ppa but will simply use
Ubuntu Software Centre - and get the conflict.

God bless,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
On 23 April 2012 12:40, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/04/12 12:11, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>>
>> do not mix PPAs with official archive.
>>

> I understand that.  What I'm doing is reporting that there is a problem in
> the packages held in Ubuntu 12.04 repo.  I'm asking whoever is responsible
> for submissions to Ubuntu to get things up to date as soon as possible.  I
> know the official packages are OK but 12.04 is released on Thursday of this
> week so I'm doing some final testing!  The new user of 12.04 is NOT going to
> look for the official ppa but will simply use Ubuntu Software Centre - and
> get the conflict.

You did not provide the information I have asked you for. Unfortunatly
I will not be able to assist you further to resolve dependency problem
on your machine.

The Ubuntu 12.04 archive is correct:

     https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/amd64/bibletime/2.8.1-2build1

it depends on libsword9.

currently PPA is broken, because of the ABI break in the 1.6.2, hence
libsword8 is borked in the PPA.

You may want to use ppa-purge to test the packages, as they are in the
Ubuntu 12.04 archive.

This mailing list is not appropriate place for third-party /
distribution specific bugs:

* bugs in Debian: bugs.debian.org or report-bug
* bugs in Ubuntu: launchpad.net/ubuntu or ubuntu-bug
* bugs in PPA: [hidden email] or launchpad

maintainers & respective distribution QA teams monitor above.
I only occasionally follow sword-devel.

Developers of sword-devel do not upload packages to debian/ubuntu/ppa

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Greg Hellings
Xiphos 3.1.5 requires SWORD SVN. In the Crosswire Ubuntu PPA current
SVN of SWORD is named libsword9.

BibleTime 2.9.1 cannot be built against SWORD SVN but only against
SWORD 1.6.2. In Ubuntu's current release this version of SWORD is
named libsword8.

There is a branch in BibleTime's git repository which allows it to be
built against SWORD's SVN, but because of API changes since then our
current trunk cannot be built. BibleTime will not release a version
which is incompatible with the current SWORD release and that is why
we requested that Troy cut a new release of SWORD. Once SWORD 1.7
(libsword9 in Ubuntu/Debian parlance) is released the next version of
BibleTime released after that will be compatible with the new API and
will therefore require libsword9.

If you want to get more to the bottom of it, try providing Dmitrijs
with the information he specified, but it sounds like you are drawing
the official Ubuntu package of BibleTime and the PPA package of Xiphos
to get the conflict you indicated.

--Greg

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/04/12 12:11, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>>
>> do not mix PPAs with official archive.
>>

> I understand that.  What I'm doing is reporting that there is a problem in
> the packages held in Ubuntu 12.04 repo.  I'm asking whoever is responsible
> for submissions to Ubuntu to get things up to date as soon as possible.  I
> know the official packages are OK but 12.04 is released on Thursday of this
> week so I'm doing some final testing!  The new user of 12.04 is NOT going to
> look for the official ppa but will simply use Ubuntu Software Centre - and
> get the conflict.
>
> God bless,        Barry.
>
> --
> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Troy A. Griffitts
Not disputing any of this, but I'm curious why BT can't compile against
SVN.  I don't believe we've intentionally made any API interface changes
in a while, and we try our hardest to be backward compatible.  If you
let me know, I can have a look at what we broke.

Troy

On 04/23/2012 02:49 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:

> Xiphos 3.1.5 requires SWORD SVN. In the Crosswire Ubuntu PPA current
> SVN of SWORD is named libsword9.
>
> BibleTime 2.9.1 cannot be built against SWORD SVN but only against
> SWORD 1.6.2. In Ubuntu's current release this version of SWORD is
> named libsword8.
>
> There is a branch in BibleTime's git repository which allows it to be
> built against SWORD's SVN, but because of API changes since then our
> current trunk cannot be built. BibleTime will not release a version
> which is incompatible with the current SWORD release and that is why
> we requested that Troy cut a new release of SWORD. Once SWORD 1.7
> (libsword9 in Ubuntu/Debian parlance) is released the next version of
> BibleTime released after that will be compatible with the new API and
> will therefore require libsword9.
>
> If you want to get more to the bottom of it, try providing Dmitrijs
> with the information he specified, but it sounds like you are drawing
> the official Ubuntu package of BibleTime and the PPA package of Xiphos
> to get the conflict you indicated.
>
> --Greg
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Barry Drake<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 23/04/12 12:11, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>>>
>>> do not mix PPAs with official archive.
>>>

>> I understand that.  What I'm doing is reporting that there is a problem in
>> the packages held in Ubuntu 12.04 repo.  I'm asking whoever is responsible
>> for submissions to Ubuntu to get things up to date as soon as possible.  I
>> know the official packages are OK but 12.04 is released on Thursday of this
>> week so I'm doing some final testing!  The new user of 12.04 is NOT going to
>> look for the official ppa but will simply use Ubuntu Software Centre - and
>> get the conflict.
>>
>> God bless,        Barry.
>>
>> --
>> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
>> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Greg Hellings
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not disputing any of this, but I'm curious why BT can't compile against SVN.
>  I don't believe we've intentionally made any API interface changes in a
> while, and we try our hardest to be backward compatible.  If you let me
> know, I can have a look at what we broke.

BibleTime will not compile against a deprecated API and there is one
place where you've deprecated a method in favor of its new camel-cased
version. We maintain a git branch with the necessary updates, but we
don't want to release that branch as it would break compat with the
current released SWORD (which is what we package on Windows and Mac).

The refusal to build against deprecated APIs is a policy choice
selected by Jaak which the rest of the developers agreed was
desirable.

--Greg

> Troy
>

> On 04/23/2012 02:49 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>>
>> Xiphos 3.1.5 requires SWORD SVN. In the Crosswire Ubuntu PPA current
>> SVN of SWORD is named libsword9.
>>
>> BibleTime 2.9.1 cannot be built against SWORD SVN but only against
>> SWORD 1.6.2. In Ubuntu's current release this version of SWORD is
>> named libsword8.
>>
>> There is a branch in BibleTime's git repository which allows it to be
>> built against SWORD's SVN, but because of API changes since then our
>> current trunk cannot be built. BibleTime will not release a version
>> which is incompatible with the current SWORD release and that is why
>> we requested that Troy cut a new release of SWORD. Once SWORD 1.7
>> (libsword9 in Ubuntu/Debian parlance) is released the next version of
>> BibleTime released after that will be compatible with the new API and
>> will therefore require libsword9.
>>
>> If you want to get more to the bottom of it, try providing Dmitrijs
>> with the information he specified, but it sounds like you are drawing
>> the official Ubuntu package of BibleTime and the PPA package of Xiphos
>> to get the conflict you indicated.
>>
>> --Greg

>>> I understand that.  What I'm doing is reporting that there is a problem
>>> in
>>> the packages held in Ubuntu 12.04 repo.  I'm asking whoever is
>>> responsible
>>> for submissions to Ubuntu to get things up to date as soon as possible.
>>> know the official packages are OK but 12.04 is released on Thursday of
>>> this
>>> week so I'm doing some final testing!  The new user of 12.04 is NOT going
>>> look for the official ppa but will simply use Ubuntu Software Centre -
>>> and
>>> get the conflict.
>>>
>>> God bless,        Barry.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
>>> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

12