USFM Reference version 2.4 released

David Haslam
Please visit http://paratext.org/usfm to obtain the new release of the USFM Reference.

HT to http://www.changedetection.com/ which I use to monitor this page & others.

Re: USFM Reference version 2.4 released

David Haslam
Release Notes

2.4 - June 2013

Marker Additions

· Support for nesting character markup.

Full support for the nested character markup syntax has been included in Paratext >=7.4, Publishing Assistant >=4.1, and the XML export format from Paratext known as "USX".

Re: USFM Reference version 2.4 released

Kahunapule Michael Johnson
On 06/28/2013 01:22 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> *Release Notes*
>
> 2.4 - June 2013
>
> Marker Additions
>
> · Support for nesting character markup.
>
> Full support for the nested character markup syntax has been included in
> Paratext >=7.4, Publishing Assistant >=4.1, and the XML export format from
> Paratext known as "USX".

This is a big deal, and erases one of the deficiencies of USFM. I guess it is time to add support to Haiola for this feature. :-)
http://ubs-icap.org/chm/usfm/2.4/index.html?nesting_character_markup.htm

Re: USFM Reference version 2.4 released

David Haslam
All software designed to process USFM files should do likewise.

Take particular note of this sentence:

All normal character marker starts (without the + prefix) close all existing nesting.

Typically the translators would use explicit termination of such nested character level markup,
yet our scripts and other software should be designed to cope with implicit termination.

This is similar to the implicit termination of the subsidiary markers within footnotes and cross-references,
while also understanding that explicit termination is just as valid.

Re: USFM Reference version 2.4 released

This later sentence is also important:

If necessary, multiple levels of nesting character markup can occur.

In other words, USFM now facilitates "stacked attributes".

This could lead to future simplification of character level markup in some Bible translations.

e.g. Where words added by the translators are marked within the words of Jesus.

One of the examples illustrates this very point.

David