PocketSword for iPad

Nic Carter

Hi team,

Just a quick note to say that CrossWire is finally on the iPad.  :)  PocketSword was released earlier today on the App Store with support for the iPad, along with a few other additions (including the hardcoding of the av11n repo, as I gave up waiting for it to be added to the MasterRepoList)...  :)

changelog: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword/changelog.txt
full changelog: https://bitbucket.org/niccarter/pocketsword/changesets

Quick question regarding the forums:  are we able to change the name of the PocketSword forum to reflect the fact that it also works on the iPad now?  :)

Thanks, ybic
        nic...  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
www: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword

Re: PocketSword for iPad

mjdenham
Congratulations Nic,

Could I ask for more information on a couple of changes?

The release notes include "more fonts for displaying more Asian language scripts" but which fonts did you use for which languages - I have been doing some work on fonts in AB too.

Also, what ui changes did you make for the iPad and are any screen prints available?

Thanks
Martin

On 9 September 2011 02:12, Nic Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nic,

I just added {{yes}} to German, Portuguese and [new row for] Thai in the PS column of the table in
http://crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program#Localization

Please everyone, keep an eye on this page, and remember to update it after new releases of front-ends.
Let's see if we can fill in the blank cells in the Localization table.
Also check the updates especially after a new language row has been added.

Re: PocketSword for iPad

Nic Carter

Hi Martin,

Congratulations Nic,

Thanks.  :)

Could I ask for more information on a couple of changes?
The release notes include "more fonts for displaying more Asian language scripts" but which fonts did you use for which languages - I have been doing some work on fonts in AB too.

I poked around online and it appears that the Code2000 font may now be GPL'd, so I have incorporated that from http://sourceforge.net/projects/code2000/
Also, Apple have added a few new fonts in iOS (there's a list at http://iosfonts.com/ ) and so I added code to expose some of them (I don't expose all of them to users because some are useless for reading the Bible!)

Also, what ui changes did you make for the iPad and are any screen prints available?

If you take a look at http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078 you can see 5 screenshots, and basically it is very similar to the iPhone version, as I haven't had much time to work on a complete makeover.  It takes advantage of the bigger screen and new UI elements available on the iPad in some ways, but it still has further to go.  I need to make better use of the top toolbar, for example, on the Bible tab so as to allow quick access to certain features...  When time permits I look forward to attacking it some more, but unfortunately that won't be in the next couple of months.  :(

Thanks, ybic
nic...  :)

Re: PocketSword for iPad

refdoc@gmx.net
Nic, we should put this out in the news thread on CW.

Peter

On 12/09/11 04:23, Nic Carter wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
>> Congratulations Nic,
>
> Thanks.  :)
>
>> Could I ask for more information on a couple of changes?
>> The release notes include "more fonts for displaying more Asian
>> language scripts" but which fonts did you use for which languages - I
>> have been doing some work on fonts in AB too.
>
> I poked around online and it appears that the Code2000 font may now be
> GPL'd, so I have incorporated that
> from http://sourceforge.net/projects/code2000/
> Also, Apple have added a few new fonts in iOS (there's a list
> at http://iosfonts.com/ ) and so I added code to expose some of them (I
> don't expose all of them to users because some are useless for reading
> the Bible!)
>
>> Also, what ui changes did you make for the iPad and are any screen
>> prints available?
>
> If you take a look
> at http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078 you can see 5
> screenshots, and basically it is very similar to the iPhone version, as
> I haven't had much time to work on a complete makeover.  It takes
> advantage of the bigger screen and new UI elements available on the iPad
> in some ways, but it still has further to go.  I need to make better use
> of the top toolbar, for example, on the Bible tab so as to allow quick
> access to certain features...  When time permits I look forward to
> attacking it some more, but unfortunately that won't be in the next
> couple of months.  :(
>

> Thanks, ybic
> nic...  :)

Re: PocketSword for iPad

Nic Carter

Do you mean at http://www.crosswire.org/news.jsp ???
If so, now that I've figured out how the news works on the site, it's done...  :)

On 12/09/2011, at 5:14 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> Nic, we should put this out in the news thread on CW.
>
> Peter

Re: PocketSword for iPad

jdhardin
Hi Nick,
Thanks! I'm using the new app on my iPad this morning. ;-)
Any chance of Gen Book support soon?
Many, many thanks.
Blessings,
Jeff

Re: PocketSword for iPad

Nic Carter

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comments.  :)  Yes, there's a chance of Gen Book support soon, but I guess it depends on your definition of "soon"?  ;)  I just had a quick look at my current PocketSword todo list (it's only in double digits atm!  only 95, I thought there were more) and it is probably slated for the next major release?

Thanks, ybic
        nic...  :)

ps:  PocketSword is GPL'd and the source is available at https://bitbucket.org/niccarter/pocketsword/overview and so you are free to help out!  ;)  :D