PocketSword beta testing

Nic Carter
Hi all,

So, I have tried to play around with PS to get it happy with all the hoops it needs to jump through for it to work again on iOS. This incorporates some hard work done by Manfred & TS.

Changes:
- enhancement: 64-bit
- FIX: search downloader (??)
- FIX: “find all” for Strong’s Numbers
- updated: to KJV v2.9 (& now includes the search index in the app bundle)
- updated: Strongs Greek to the latest Xiphos repo version (v1.5)

If anyone still uses PS & would like to beta test, please privately email me with your AppleID and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list and you can see if you can break it! :)

As usual, the src is at https://bitbucket.org/niccarter/pocketsword

Thanks,
Nic.

<<---------------
"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in pitying tone.  "Try again: draw a long
breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed.  "There's no use trying," she said.  "One can't believe
impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
-----"Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll------------->>

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Karl Kleinpaste-2
On 04/22/2017 09:54 AM, Nic Carter wrote:
> please privately email me with your AppleID and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list and you can see if you can break it

[hidden email]

Oddly I don't seem to have Test Flight installed any more...lost
sometime along the way in the upgrade cycle (currently 5s).  But I'll
get that re-installed momentarily.

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Karl Kleinpaste-2
Blast you, Thunderbird... That was supposed to go just to Nic.  So much for advertised keybindings.

Re: PocketSword beta testing

David Haslam
At least the Nabble mirror does a decent job of hiding our email addresses, even when they're in the body of the message!

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Timothy Shen-McCullough
I have not been able to work on PS for a while. However, I believe that I did do a lot of stuff which is not uploaded anywhere. My last recollection is that it ran 64 bit on the recent APIs on the simulator and that my next planned step was to undo some commenting that I had put in place and then to see how backwards compatible it would be. I would not be surprised if I have not been able to touch PS since Jan. due to unhappy life stuff. However, things have started to settle some and I have been hoping to start working on PS again next month. Upon seeing the recent emails though about PS, I'll try to rearrange my schedule and things...I'll try to take a look at the newer code today and probably upload the last test version that I earlier mentioned.
I'm sorta panicking because I don't want any of the work that I did earlier to go to waste. Though at the same time, I have unhappily not been able to work on it for a while and if Nic has been able to make a newer fixed version for everyone, that would be great too...

-TS

--Sent from phone. Sorry for any miscommunication, abruptness, and etc.  --

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 6:54 AM, Nic Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> So, I have tried to play around with PS to get it happy with all the hoops it needs to jump through for it to work again on iOS. This incorporates some hard work done by Manfred & TS.
>
> Changes:
> - enhancement: 64-bit
> - FIX: search downloader (??)
> - FIX: “find all” for Strong’s Numbers
> - updated: to KJV v2.9 (& now includes the search index in the app bundle)
> - updated: Strongs Greek to the latest Xiphos repo version (v1.5)
>
> If anyone still uses PS & would like to beta test, please privately email me with your AppleID and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list and you can see if you can break it! :)
>
> As usual, the src is at https://bitbucket.org/niccarter/pocketsword
>

> Thanks,
> Nic.
>

> <<---------------
> "I can't believe that!" said Alice.
> "Can't you?" the Queen said in pitying tone.  "Try again: draw a long
> breath, and shut your eyes."
> Alice laughed.  "There's no use trying," she said.  "One can't believe
> impossible things."
> "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
> -----"Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll------------->>

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Installed 1.4.8 (19) beta via TestFlight in my iPhone 5.

No data lost. Reinstalled KJV 2.9 complete with search index successfully.

About:

Suggest add the more recent helpers' names in the With help from:
(subject to their permission, of course).

I've reported a few other minor niggles by private email to Nic.

Best regards,

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Nic Carter
If you can let me know who I have missed (forgotten!), I’ll add them. Shoot me an email directly (off the list).

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 6:49 pm, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Installed 1.4.8 (19) beta via TestFlight in my iPhone 5.
>
> No data lost. Reinstalled KJV 2.9 complete with search index successfully.
>
> *About:*
>
> Suggest add the more recent helpers' names in the *With help from:*
> (subject to their permission, of course).
>
> I've reported a few other minor niggles by private email to Nic.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David

Re: PocketSword beta testing

Timothy Shen-McCullough
So, yesterday I took a look at Nic’s new code and compared it to the last code that I had worked on which turned out to be back in Dec. It seems that a lot of our code may be complimentary to each other!  :)  So, this is good news. I need to dig in some more, but it looks like we focused on different parts of the code. The majority of differences that I saw was that I 1)  focused on the Sword engine being more 64 bit compliant, so I have a more recent version of the Sword engine which is more 64 bit compliant (which makes Xcode happier). And 2) also, it looks like I focused more on fixing the search downloader using Apple’s newer API. Apple deprecated the class NSURLConnection which is what PocketSword normally used to download modules from servers. You can see here:

Here’s the part in specific from the website:
"If you just need to retrieve the contents of a URL and do something with the results at the end, in OS X v10.9 and later or iOS 7 and later, you should use the NSURLSession class. You can also use the NSURLConnection class for compatibility with earlier versions of OS X and iOS."

So, I added/modified a lot of code using NSURLSession. The file PSIndexController in specific has most of these changes. The text of the file is now a lot longer since the NSURLConnection class involved a lot of methods/functions and the newer version NSURLSession sorta has equivalents. Also, offhand I believe that Apple’s new API and maybe one of the libraries being used changed how threading was done as well. PocketSword normally downloads modules on the main thread and I seem to recall that it can not be done that way any more. So, I had to write a lot of new code to manage the threads so that the downloads don’t download on the main thread anymore. I’m guessing that this was done so that long downloads could not block the main thread and effectively cause an app to get stuck on a download window. Then I had to do some adjusting so that the MBProgressHUD would work right and show a progress display to the user.

So, what this means is that normally PocketSword would stay on the download window while downloading whereas now, the user can actually go back to a different screen during the download. That’s what happened during my testing at least which makes sense since the main thread isn’t doing the download. More work needs to be done though since it’s right now not very clear to the user that the download is happening “in the background”.

It seems that Nic focused mostly on code specific to PocketSword. A lot of 64 bit changes that I had no idea that they needed to be done as well as some other specific iOS code that I didn’t know needed updating.

Regarding my code though, there currently is a problem. I only got far enough to code and do some testing for the newer API. I didn’t get far enough to code and test for backwards compatibility. :(    Offhand, I think it just requires code to be written in the PSIndexController file to test for which version of iOS is being used and then for it to use the right methods/functions accordingly. The code for showing the download progress might need adjustments too accordingly. I’m going to try working on the code this week to see about the backwards compatibility and to try getting it going.

The code that I mentioned that I last worked on back in Dec. that I’m using for comparison I’ll upload to my account on bitbucket so that Nic and/or whoever can take a look at it. Also, just a note, one of the reasons why my code in the past wasn’t put into Nic’s repo was because when I joined Bitbucket, they seemed to be going through a major overhaul of their software and their instructions didn’t match anymore to the software. So, between that and other things going on in life, it just became easiest to just do an upload to my own account as opposed to troubleshooting and trying to figure out how their software was suppose to work. I am curious though about how the merging process is suppose to work so I do plan to learn about it.

In side news, I  think I also ran across a problem with “find all” for Strong’s numbers and fixed that.
-TS

[...]

     I've noticed in the new PocketSword code that the oldest version of iOS that it is set to run on is iOS 8. My last understanding though was for it to be compatible back to iOS 6. So, is it being changed permanently then to iOS 8?

-TS

--Sent from phone--