Pilcrows in the KJV Apocrypha?

David Haslam
I myself don't have a printed copy of the KJV complete with the Apocrypha.

If anyone on this list has one, could I have a yes / no answer as to whether any of the Apocryphal books contain pilcrow ¶ signs.

My gut feeling is that most (if not all) online digitized copies would omit these.

It seems to be a generally overlooked punctuation mark.

Re: Pilcrows in the KJV Apocrypha?

Greg Hellings
I have a hard copy that is KJV Old Testament and parallel KJV and RV
New Testament, put out around 1884 or so, right before the Revised
Version Old Testament was released.  The Apocrypha only appears in a
single translation which I assume means that it is the KJV
translation.  I just spot-checked through a number of pages and only
observed one Pilcrow at the beginning of 1 Esdras 4:13.  That is not
to say there are not others, but doing a simple scan through about 25
or 30 pages only revealed that one to me.

--Greg

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I myself don't have a printed copy of the KJV complete with the Apocrypha.
>
> If anyone on this list has one, could I have a yes / no answer as to whether
> any of the Apocryphal books contain  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow
> pilcrow  ¶ signs.
>
> My gut feeling is that most (if not all) online digitized copies would omit
> these.
>
> It seems to be a generally overlooked punctuation mark.
>
> David

Re: Pilcrows in the KJV Apocrypha?

Greg Hellings
According to the wiki article on the Revised Version, my apocrypha
must by the King James translation, since the RV of the apocrypha was
not released until 1895.

--Greg

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Greg Hellings <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a hard copy that is KJV Old Testament and parallel KJV and RV
> New Testament, put out around 1884 or so, right before the Revised
> Version Old Testament was released.  The Apocrypha only appears in a
> single translation which I assume means that it is the KJV
> translation.  I just spot-checked through a number of pages and only
> observed one Pilcrow at the beginning of 1 Esdras 4:13.  That is not
> to say there are not others, but doing a simple scan through about 25
> or 30 pages only revealed that one to me.
>
> --Greg
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I myself don't have a printed copy of the KJV complete with the Apocrypha.
>>
>> If anyone on this list has one, could I have a yes / no answer as to whether
>> any of the Apocryphal books contain  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow
>> pilcrow  ¶ signs.
>>
>> My gut feeling is that most (if not all) online digitized copies would omit
>> these.
>>
>> It seems to be a generally overlooked punctuation mark.
>>
>> David

Re: Pilcrows in the KJV Apocrypha?

Mike Hart
A facsimile of the 1611 KJV printing can be viewed at

http://www.archive.org/stream/holybiblefacsimi00polluoft#page/n1152/mode/1up

(Opens at the beginning of the apocrypha).

I see pilcrows at the title of each book and one appearing at I Esdras 2:8, I Esdras 3:13, I Esdras 4:13, ...  I'm not counting them all, but they originally appeared more frequently than every 30 pages (if the book I'm referencing is what it claims to be.)

Mike

Re: Pilcrows in the KJV Apocrypha?

Greg Hellings
My print copy does have the one at I Esdras 2:8 but not at 3:13. 4:13 I already mentioned.

While the facsimile is nice, it is not particularly relevant for us. Our KJV is not the KJV of 1611 but rather of 1769 or whatever the date was, so we should not base our module off of that facsimile.

--Greg