OSIS tables?

David Haslam
Does SWORD support
 in modules built from OSIS?

If so, which front-ends render tables properly?

The wiki page about OSIS Bibles makes no mention of such.

Re: OSIS tables?

Brian J Dumont
On 10/15/2011 05:48 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Does SWORD support  in modules built from OSIS?
>
> If so, which front-ends render tables properly?
>
> The wiki page about  http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles OSIS Bibles
> makes no mention of such.
>
> David
I looked into this in 2009.  The support was very, very weak.  So weak
that nearly all genbooks I make are now ThML because they nearly always
contain at least one table.  If memory serves correctly you could make a
table in Bibletime, although capability of layout was weak.  You could
sort of make one in Xiphos, but it was so ugly as to be totally
unusable.  I failed to make a table in any other front end.

Blessings,
Brian

Re: OSIS tables?

DM Smith-5
All those that use JSword should render tables correctly, but w/o borders.

Cent from my fone so theer mite be tipos. ;)

On Oct 15, 2011, at 5:48 AM, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does SWORD support  in modules built from OSIS?
>
> If so, which front-ends render tables properly?
>
> The wiki page about  http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles OSIS Bibles
> makes no mention of such.
>
> David

Re: OSIS tables?

Karl Kleinpaste-2
Brian J Dumont <[hidden email]> writes:
> You could sort of make one in Xiphos, but it was so ugly as to be
> totally unusable.

Considering that Xiphos really doesn't care what the engine feeds it,
the entirety of whether tables work in Xiphos is bound up in whether
OSIS->HTML filtration is sufficiently precise.  Internally, Xiphos
generates tables of its own (commentary by chapter, showing verse#s) and
they work just fine.

Re: OSIS tables?

Brian J Dumont
On 10/15/2011 11:11 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Brian J Dumont<[hidden email]>  writes:
>> You could sort of make one in Xiphos, but it was so ugly as to be
>> totally unusable.
> Considering that Xiphos really doesn't care what the engine feeds it,
> the entirety of whether tables work in Xiphos is bound up in whether
> OSIS->HTML filtration is sufficiently precise.  Internally, Xiphos
> generates tables of its own (commentary by chapter, showing verse#s) and
> they work just fine.
Yes, this is entirely accurate.  Bibletime uses its own OSIS processing,
and hence processes tags like <cell>blah</cell>.  All of the other
SWORD-based front ends rely on the SWORD engine to do the processing,
which currently does nothing and passes on the (non-html) tags as html.

It seems like the render engine in xiphos at least picks up the <table>
tag from OSIS, but ignores all other tags (which is what you would
expect, it is not being passed anything that means anything as html).

BTW, last I checked xiphos was also fine when you encode a true html
table into your osis.  It's invalid osis, but it works.  Xiphos is also
fine with a table in a ThML file (because it's just html).

Re: OSIS tables?

David Haslam
Perhaps we should document this in http://crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program

We could add a new row for Tables in one of the Tables. ("Pun inescapable").

I'm aware that some developers rarely visit this page, and it's probably too detailed for some users,
but for me it helps to have this level of detail available when I'm responding to specific enquiries received by email.

David