OSIS XML file for the AraSVD module?

David Haslam
Someone has enquired through the Go Bible Forum about the availability of the OSIS XML source text for the Arabic SVD module.

If someone could provide a link, I'll be able to help them further.

As the original translation was published in 1865, in what sense is this now a copyrighted work?

Surely it cannot because of additional features such as headings, notes and cross-references, seeing as there are no corresponding OSIS filters specified in the .conf file!

By what strange legal device does a public domain literary work become copyrighted?

Re: OSIS XML file for the AraSVD module?

Chris Little-2
On 2/10/2012 7:45 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> Someone has enquired through the Go Bible Forum about the availability of the
> OSIS XML source text for the Arabic SVD module.
>
> If someone could provide a link, I'll be able to help them further.
>
> As the original translation was published in 1865, in what sense is this now
> a copyrighted work?
>
> Surely it cannot because of additional features such as headings, notes and
> cross-references, seeing as there are no corresponding OSIS filters
> specified in the .conf file!
>
> By what strange legal device does a public domain literary work become
> copyrighted?

The vocalization is the copyrighted portion. The layout might be as
well, I'm not sure.

A public domain text, based on our former module, can be downloaded from
Unbound Bible in their format (cf.
http://unbound.biola.edu/index.cfm?method=downloads.showDownloadMain).
We won't be making our OSIS source of the copyrighted text available.

--Chris

Re: OSIS XML file for the AraSVD module?

refdoc@gmx.net
On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 23:51 -0800, Chris Little wrote:

> The vocalization is the copyrighted portion. The layout might be as
> well, I'm not sure.

It is the vocalisation, which is unique to our text. Whether sweat of
the brow is copyrightable is something we decided at the time not to
explore, but simply to respect the assertion. The publisher makes a PDF
or possibly also a MS Word file available from their website. The MS
Word file is what we used to make our module.

Peter