OS X/iPhoneOS based development

12

OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Manfred Bergmann-4
Hi there.

Now with the iPad already released in USA and in other countries shortly I'd like to push for a consolidation of the Objective-C++ SWORD wrapper classes.
Which over time has grown quite large consisting of 20 classes in the version MacSword uses. Just for an explanation to others, they build the basis for SWORD based OS X applications and are intended to be able to code in Objective-C exclusively in upper levels of the application (UI).
PocketSword uses a subset of those classes with some modifications.

Now shortly since I believe we will again branch for the iPad because it will be a different UI eventually I feel that we have to do something now. Otherwise we will end up having to maintain three code bases which could be one. And it will be a mess.

Since MacSword 2.2 was released recently I have some time now to work on this.
I would suggest to make a framework of the Objective-C wrapper classes which can then be used in any OS X (Cocoa) based application just as easily as other frameworks can be used. It would still be necessary to have different builds for ARM and Intel/PPC and Xcode projects but those can use the same code base.
If any user of the framework needs customised behaviour it is still possible to subclass if really needed.

The things that need closer look are:
- Make it work in gc and none-gc environments.
In MacSword 2.2 refactorings I tried to put in -dealloc and -finalize methods in all classes I touched together with autoreleased initialisations.
- Logging.
This might need some time. While I would like to be able to write logs to file with specifying log levels this is not something the iPhone/iPad wants due to slower FS access. But I'm sure there is a solution to this. If some protocols are defined each front-end can still implement it's own logging implementation.
- Code that uses NSUserDefaults.
Right now keys for locked modules are stored in NSUserDefaults. Is this something that works on iPhoneOS?
- Searching/indexing.
While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
- Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?

Comments?

Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

Manfred

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Nic Carter

Hi Manfred,

This all sounds good.  :)

Just one quick thing, though:  PocketSword will be one app that works on both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.  I was looking at this today and I think this will be the best way forward. Apple have designed everything so that this is easily possible, with one codebase...  :)

Oh, and to answer your question about NSUserDefaults, yes, that's there!  I have just added unlocking of modules to PocketSword, which will be available in v1.2.2 (currently in beta), and that works great using the code in SwordModule.mm  :)

Thanks for this work, Manfred!  :)
ybic
        nic...  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
www: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword

On 15/04/2010, at 7:15 PM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:

> [...]
> - Searching/indexing.
> While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
> This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
> - Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?
>
> Comments?
>
> Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
> I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

Hi Nic.

Am 15.04.2010 um 10:30 schrieb Nic Carter:

> Just one quick thing, though:  PocketSword will be one app that works on both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.  I was looking at this today and I think this will be the best way forward. Apple have designed everything so that this is easily possible, with one codebase...  :)

Well, I know iPhone Apps work almost unchanged on iPad. But the iPad had a much larger display and I think that eventually it also offers more possibilities in terms of UI so that maybe sooner or later a new iPad application will be there. Even if there were only small changes in Interface Builder XIBs/NIBs and view controllers you would need to branch.
I'm also not sure whether the UI design guidelines are the same for both.
If I look at iWork on the iPad for example then this is a completely new set of applications with a new designed UI especially for the iPad.

> Oh, and to answer your question about NSUserDefaults, yes, that's there!  I have just added unlocking of modules to PocketSword, which will be available in v1.2.2 (currently in beta), and that works great using the code in SwordModule.mm  :)

Alright, good to know.

Manfred

> [...]
>> - Searching/indexing.
>> While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
>> This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
>> - Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
>> I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

Just as a follow-up, here are some key differences between iPhone and iPad in terms of UI:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/General/Conceptual/iPadHIG/KeyFeatures/KeyFeatures.html

Manfred

Am 15.04.2010 um 10:51 schrieb Manfred Bergmann:

> [...]
>>> - Searching/indexing.
>>> While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
>>> This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
>>> - Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
>>> I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

Alright then.
Can anyone with the proper rights create a Subversion folder? Or do we use Bazaar? I switched over to Bazaar. :)
I believe I'm admin in Jira so I can create a project there myself.

Manfred

> [...]

>> - Searching/indexing.
>> While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
>> This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
>> - Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
>> I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

I suggest you put it in a specific place in your MacSword SVN (or Bazaar if that's what you use now?) and I can access it from there.  :)

On 16/04/2010, at 2:32 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:

> [...]
>>> - Searching/indexing.
>>> While the iPhone uses the SWORD provided clucene based indexing and searching MacSword uses SearchKit.
>>> This not a problem at all but we have to define a protocol where each application can implement a provider.
>>> - Further we would need a place to source control it. Can we have a place for it at CrossWire including a new project in Jira?
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Nic, if you are busy with things for PocketSword right now, don't worry. I would start working on this, compare both code bases and would start a discussion with you about things I'm uncertain - if you give your "go" to do this all.
>>> I'd also like to finally put in some Unit tests for critical parts so that it can be tested more easily. Unfortunately Unit testing is not so comfortable in Obj-C as it is in Java.

Peter von Kaehne
Would not the natural place be the bindings directory in the engine?

Nic Carter wrote:

> I suggest you put it in a specific place in your MacSword SVN (or Bazaar if that's what you use now?) and I can access it from there.  :)
>
> On 16/04/2010, at 2:32 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>
>> Alright then.
>> Can anyone with the proper rights create a Subversion folder? Or do we use Bazaar? I switched over to Bazaar. :)
>> I believe I'm admin in Jira so I can create a project there myself.
>>

>> Manfred
>>

>> Am 15.04.2010 um 10:30 schrieb Nic Carter:
>>
>>> Hi Manfred,
>>>
>>> This all sounds good.  :)
>>>
>>> Just one quick thing, though:  PocketSword will be one app that works on both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.  I was looking at this today and I think this will be the best way forward. Apple have designed everything so that this is easily possible, with one codebase...  :)
>>>
>>> Oh, and to answer your question about NSUserDefaults, yes, that's there!  I have just added unlocking of modules to PocketSword, which will be available in v1.2.2 (currently in beta), and that works great using the code in SwordModule.mm  :)
>>>
>>> Thanks for this work, Manfred!  :)
>>> ybic
>>> nic...  :)
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Nic Carter
>>> PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
>>> www: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword
>>> iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Troy A. Griffitts
These all sound like good suggestions.  Manfred, let me know what you
decide and I'll either give you access to sword/bindings/objc or create
a repository for you.

Troy

Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> Would not the natural place be the bindings directory in the engine?
>

> Nic Carter wrote:
>> I suggest you put it in a specific place in your MacSword SVN (or
>> Bazaar if that's what you use now?) and I can access it from there.  :)
>>
>> On 16/04/2010, at 2:32 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> Alright then.
>>> Can anyone with the proper rights create a Subversion folder? Or do
>>> we use Bazaar? I switched over to Bazaar. :)
>>> I believe I'm admin in Jira so I can create a project there myself.
>>>

>>> Manfred

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Manfred Bergmann-4
Hmm, yeah. Then it would be bound to the library version which would not be a bad thing.

Am 16.04.2010 um 07:47 schrieb Peter von Kaehne:

> Would not the natural place be the bindings directory in the engine?
>

> Nic Carter wrote:
>> I suggest you put it in a specific place in your MacSword SVN (or Bazaar if that's what you use now?) and I can access it from there.  :)
>> On 16/04/2010, at 2:32 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>>> Alright then.
>>> Can anyone with the proper rights create a Subversion folder? Or do we use Bazaar? I switched over to Bazaar. :)
>>> I believe I'm admin in Jira so I can create a project there myself.
>>>

>>> Manfred

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Manfred Bergmann-4
Troy, I'd like to put this into this bindings folder.
If you could create a "objc" folder there and give me commit rights? I'm almost finished creating a proper Xcode project.

Manfred

Am 16.04.2010 um 07:58 schrieb Troy A. Griffitts:

> These all sound like good suggestions.  Manfred, let me know what you
> decide and I'll either give you access to sword/bindings/objc or create
> a repository for you.
>
> Troy
>

> Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>> Would not the natural place be the bindings directory in the engine?
>>

>> Nic Carter wrote:
>>> I suggest you put it in a specific place in your MacSword SVN (or
>>> Bazaar if that's what you use now?) and I can access it from there.  :)

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Greg Hellings
Manfred,

My CMake build system is supposed to support iPhone configurations. It
would keep you from having to update your xcode poject every time
files are changed, etc. I have built the library succesfully against
the simulator files using my CMake configure, but have not had any
takers on actually testing the library against an actual app.

--Greg

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Manfred Bergmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Troy, I'd like to put this into this bindings folder.
> If you could create a "objc" folder there and give me commit rights?
> I'm almost finished creating a proper Xcode project.
>

> Manfred
>

> Am 16.04.2010 um 07:58 schrieb Troy A. Griffitts:
>
>> These all sound like good suggestions.  Manfred, let me know what you
>> decide and I'll either give you access to sword/bindings/objc or
>> create
>> a repository for you.
>>
>> Troy
>>

>> Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>>> Would not the natural place be the bindings directory in the engine?

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Manfred Bergmann-4
Hi Greg.

I was always using a makefile compiled library. However creating multi-architecture builds (i386, x86_64, ppc) was always kind of a hassle.
This is very easily done by Xcode because it compiles for all targets and combines the builds and I'm actually quite happy that I can use this now.
How is this done with CMake?

Manfred

Am 14.06.2010 um 18:51 schrieb Gregory Hellings:

> Manfred,
>
> My CMake build system is supposed to support iPhone configurations. It would keep you from having to update your xcode poject every time files are changed, etc. I have built the library succesfully against the simulator files using my CMake configure, but have not had any takers on actually testing the library against an actual app.
>
> --Greg
>

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Troy, I'd like to put this into this bindings folder.
>> If you could create a "objc" folder there and give me commit rights? I'm almost finished creating a proper Xcode project.
>>

>> Manfred
>>

>> Am 16.04.2010 um 07:58 schrieb Troy A. Griffitts:
>>
>>> These all sound like good suggestions.  Manfred, let me know what you
>>> decide and I'll either give you access to sword/bindings/objc or create
>>> a repository for you.
>>>
>>> Troy

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Greg Hellings
Manfred,

CMake uses a number of what it calls "Generators" which can produe
build files or projects for a number of build systems. One of these is
Xcode when using the Mac build of CMake. From the command line the
option -G Xcode (not certain on the casing of that, available
generators are output by --help) will produce an Xcode project instead
of the default (unix style makefiles). The GUI tool should ask the
first time you configure a project what build system to target.  You
would then use the Xcode project the way you normally would.

Files are available from the bzr repository at https://code.launchpad.net/~greg-hellings/libsword/cmake-port
  or a tarball for download from http://bibletime.thehellings.com if
you want to give it a shot.

--Greg

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Manfred Bergmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg.
>
> I was always using a makefile compiled library. However creating
> multi-architecture builds (i386, x86_64, ppc) was always kind of a
> hassle.
> This is very easily done by Xcode because it compiles for all
> targets and combines the builds and I'm actually quite happy that I
> can use this now.
> How is this done with CMake?
>

> Manfred
>

> Am 14.06.2010 um 18:51 schrieb Gregory Hellings:
>
>> Manfred,
>>
>> My CMake build system is supposed to support iPhone configurations.
>> It would keep you from having to update your xcode poject every
>> time files are changed, etc. I have built the library succesfully
>> against the simulator files using my CMake configure, but have not
>> had any takers on actually testing the library against an actual app.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Troy, I'd like to put this into this bindings folder.
>>> If you could create a "objc" folder there and give me commit
>>> rights? I'm almost finished creating a proper Xcode project.
>>>

>>> Manfred

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Greg,

The wiki page DevTools:CMake is currently not linked from anywhere, apart from a trivial redirect. i.e. It is (in effect) an orphaned page.

No-one would know it exists unless they happened to find it via Category:Development tools.

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Greg Hellings
David,

That's beccause I have very little idea how to use a wiki from a
content generator/creator perspective and generally just throw info
onto pages for my own use and later reference. If you know a good
place to link it, please do so!

--Greg

On Jun 14, 2010, at 2:03 PM, David Haslam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greg,
>
> The wiki page  http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:CMake
> DevTools:CMake
> is currently not linked from anywhere, apart from a trivial
> redirect. i.e.
> It is (in effect) an orphaned page.
>
> No-one would know it exists unless they happened to find it via
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Category:Development_tools
> Category:Development tools .
>
> David

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
On 14 June 2010 18:59, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Greg.
>
> I was always using a makefile compiled library. However creating multi-architecture builds (i386, x86_64, ppc) was always kind of a hassle.

ppc64 as well for G5 macs =)

> This is very easily done by Xcode because it compiles for all targets and combines the builds and I'm actually quite happy that I can use this now.

FUD =)

you can use isysroots to compile universal binaries using apple
toolchain the same way XCode does it.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

I've used 10.5 sdk but the 10.4u (NB u = universal) can be used as
well, 10.6 sdk doesn't have ppc.

I took current trunk, autoreconf -f -i (NB using apple autoreconf not
anything you get via macports/fink) and did this:

CXXFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc -arch
ppc64" CFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc -arch
ppc64" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc -arch ppc64"
./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --with-icusword
--without-icu --prefix=/here

(bogus prefix to make sure I don't pull in any non-universal dylibs i
have there)

$ file lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib
lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386
lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O
64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library ppc
lib/.libs/libsword-1.6.1.dylib (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit
dynamically linked shared library ppc64

I'm not sure how to wrap this into a proper Mac OS X framework and
whether there is need for that at all.

Using similar options you should be able to compile for iPhone SDK, I
don't have it installed.

On the other note do you think 10.4u install base is still there? And
do we need to support it.

> How is this done with CMake?

As far as I can see CMake style source/targets are just converted into
XCode xml/plst project file, so you would still need to use xcode to
define debug/release/sdk/target-arches.

Using the sdk and gcc isysroot imho is far more UNIX-like =)

> Manfred
>

> Am 14.06.2010 um 18:51 schrieb Gregory Hellings:
>
>> Manfred,
>>
>> My CMake build system is supposed to support iPhone configurations. It would keep you from having to update your xcode poject every time files are changed, etc. I have built the library succesfully against the simulator files using my CMake configure, but have not had any takers on actually testing the library against an actual app.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Troy, I'd like to put this into this bindings folder.
>>> If you could create a "objc" folder there and give me commit rights? I'm almost finished creating a proper Xcode project.
>>>

>>> Manfred

Re: OS X/iPhoneOS based development

Greg,

I have added this link from the main page.

* [[DevTools:CMake|CMake]] for SWORD – experimental

David

PS. I also updated the talk page.

Am 14.06.2010 um 21:03 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

> On 14 June 2010 18:59, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Greg.
>>
>> I was always using a makefile compiled library. However creating multi-architecture builds (i386, x86_64, ppc) was always kind of a hassle.
>
> ppc64 as well for G5 macs =)
>
>> This is very easily done by Xcode because it compiles for all targets and combines the builds and I'm actually quite happy that I can use this now.
>
> FUD =)
>
> you can use isysroots to compile universal binaries using apple
> toolchain the same way XCode does it.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

It's called "Xcode" not "XCode".
Thanks for your pointers but I'm already doing this.
This has gotten much easier since you don't need to build for Mac OSX 10.3 because you needed gcc 3.3 for that and gcc 4 for 10.4 and above.

For me I think it's time to switch now from manually build sword library to Xcode project because now the library is build together with the ObjC wrapper classes.

>> How is this done with CMake?
>>

> As far as I can see CMake style source/targets are just converted into
> XCode xml/plst project file, so you would still need to use xcode to
> define debug/release/sdk/target-arches.

"xcodebuild" can build Xcode projects via command line and accepts command line build options or you can pass in a settings file.

> Using the sdk and gcc isysroot imho is far more UNIX-like =)

I don't know why CMake would not be UNIX-like?

On 14 June 2010 21:38, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 14.06.2010 um 21:03 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:
>
>> On 14 June 2010 18:59, Manfred Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Greg.
>>>
>>> I was always using a makefile compiled library. However creating multi-architecture builds (i386, x86_64, ppc) was always kind of a hassle.
>>
>> ppc64 as well for G5 macs =)
>>
>>> This is very easily done by Xcode because it compiles for all targets and combines the builds and I'm actually quite happy that I can use this now.
>>
>> FUD =)
>>
>> you can use isysroots to compile universal binaries using apple
>> toolchain the same way XCode does it.
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html
>
> It's called "Xcode" not "XCode".
> Thanks for your pointers but I'm already doing this.
> This has gotten much easier since you don't need to build for Mac OSX 10.3 because you needed gcc 3.3 for that and gcc 4 for 10.4 and above.

True. I did do bundles packing 10.3 & 10.4 together. But that was
before intel transition.

> For me I think it's time to switch now from manually build sword library to Xcode project because now the library is build together with the ObjC wrapper classes.

Fair enough. How are you keeping up with changes to sword? What is
your xcode project layout?

I didn't manage to make a project which can get have sword framework
and xiphos getting pulled in from svn. I would also need Gtk, Glib,
Pango and friends.... i have framework versions of those, but it's
"imported" frameworks.

>>> How is this done with CMake?
>>>

>> As far as I can see CMake style source/targets are just converted into
>> XCode xml/plst project file, so you would still need to use xcode to
>> define debug/release/sdk/target-arches.
>
> "xcodebuild" can build Xcode projects via command line and accepts command line build options or you can pass in a settings file.

Thanks, didn't know that.

>> Using the sdk and gcc isysroot imho is far more UNIX-like =)
>
> I don't know why CMake would not be UNIX-like?

Don't understand.... CMake is a great tool, so is autotools. it's just
I find it easier to control and inspect what is going on during
buildtime using lower level tools. E.g. Xcode is far to abstract for
my taste. Or maybe I just don't know how to use it properly. I never
found enough time to use/learn it because it's not as universal as
autotools.

Am 14.06.2010 um 22:01 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

>> For me I think it's time to switch now from manually build sword library to Xcode project because now the library is build together with the ObjC wrapper classes.
>>

> Fair enough. How are you keeping up with changes to sword? What is
> your xcode project layout?

I don't know about changes to sword. There are actually none. :)
Xcode project includes the sword/src folder (minus some files that would not compile like all sources in frontend, dirent for win32 and such) and clucene as groups.
In build settings you add header file folders sword/include, icu, ... and linker flags for libcurl, libicu, ...
Finally you add CFLAGS actually the same as in makefile.

> I didn't manage to make a project which can get have sword framework
> and xiphos getting pulled in from svn. I would also need Gtk, Glib,
> Pango and friends.... i have framework versions of those, but it's
> "imported" frameworks.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean?
At the moment there is only one Xcode target that builds everything, together with Sword ObjC wrappers.
It would make sense to split this to have a separate targets for the Sword dylib and wrapper.

>>> As far as I can see CMake style source/targets are just converted into
>>> XCode xml/plst project file, so you would still need to use xcode to
>>> define debug/release/sdk/target-arches.
>>
>> "xcodebuild" can build Xcode projects via command line and accepts command line build options or you can pass in a settings file.
>>

> Thanks, didn't know that.
>
>>> Using the sdk and gcc isysroot imho is far more UNIX-like =)
>>
>> I don't know why CMake would not be UNIX-like?
>>

> Don't understand.... CMake is a great tool, so is autotools. it's just
> I find it easier to control and inspect what is going on during
> buildtime using lower level tools. E.g. Xcode is far to abstract for
> my taste. Or maybe I just don't know how to use it properly. I never
> found enough time to use/learn it because it's not as universal as
> autotools.

Yeah, that's right. Xcode is Mac specific and relatively abstract. However as is generally with Mac it just hides it. You can see all relevant information. Problems about your build or the exact gcc command line Xcode will call to compile things.
When using "xcodebuild" you will see almost the same output as when compiling using makefile.

12