Quantcast

New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

refdoc
Dear all,

Following discussion with Martin Denham I have imported wholesale a
larger number of modules - mostly GenBook type - with mostly reformed
and puritan writers. These books have been available for a significant
period of time to And Bible alone, so have certainly been tested within
an jsword setup and I decided to forego further analysis and simply
make them available to all of us on all frontends.

Most interesting though of course is the ESV with Strongs. We do have
permission of to distribute the ESV and I understand that the version
with Strongs (as produced by Tyndale) had been offered to us at some
point but someone somewhere had ignored or misunderstood that offer and
only Martin picked it up.

So, anyway, it is now here and hopefully I have not misunderstood
things, so it should also stay... I left it as a separate module from
our pre-existing ESV module. Maybe we will drop our other one
eventually.

Yours

Peter

Re: New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

David Haslam
Hi Peter,

Is there any substantial difference between the new ESVS module and the one available from Tyndale House for STEP Bible?  Is the new ESVS module made to the 2011 edition from Crossway books?

Although they don't have a proper repository set up (for use by other front-ends), it's already possible to download this module and install manually it in [say] Xiphos.

See bottom left in https://www.stepbible.org/downloads.jsp

The Tyndale House edition with Strongs (ESV-THE badly named, should be ESV_THE) is to the 2011 edition. (This issue has been reported to STEP team).

cf. Our own ESV module was made to the 2001 edition of Crossway.

I rather think that we should rename the earlier ESV module as ESV2001.

Then to be consistent, maybe the new module should be called ESV2011, with Strongs mentioned in the Desription?

btw. Does Crossway mind if we continue to distribute the 2001 text now that the 2011 text has been made available?

Aside. There is now an even more recent edition of the ESV published by Crossway, but even Tyndale House has not yet been granted a digital copy.

Best regards,

Re: New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

The ESVS module contains some unexpected extra files!

One of them contains the complete uncompressed text for the OT. We should not be doing this.

The other two files are OT.vss and NT.vss both consisting entirely of NULL characters. These are not necessary for SWORD, and I really don't know why And Bible might have needed them.

Please remove these three files from the DataPath folder.
A proper compressed Bible module should only have a total of 6 files therein.

nt.bzs nt.bsv nt.bzz
ot.bzs ot.bsv ot.bzz

There are also several serious mistakes in the conf file.  I will email the details to Peter.

Best regards,

Re: New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

Peter Von Kaehne
Thanks David,

I indeed simply copied them over from Martin's repo. Keep it coming. I will fix things as we go along

Peter

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Mai 2017 um 10:19 Uhr
> Von: "David Haslam" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [sword-devel] New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS
>
> The ESVS module contains some unexpected extra files!
>
> One of them contains the complete uncompressed text for the OT. We should
> not be doing this.
>
> The other two files are *OT.vss* and *NT.vss* both consisting entirely of
> NULL characters. These are not necessary for SWORD, and I really don't know
> why And Bible might have needed them.
>
> Please remove these three files from the DataPath folder.
> A proper compressed Bible module should only have a total of 6 files
> therein.
>
> nt.bzs nt.bsv nt.bzz
> ot.bzs ot.bsv ot.bzz
>
> There are also several serious mistakes in the conf file.  I will email the
> details to Peter.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David

Re: New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

David Haslam
Hi Peter,

About to send the email, but you should know that I've just found a critical issue.

Re: New Modules: Puritans, Reformed writers and ESVS

Chris Burrell
So I believe the one from AndBible is the Tyndale House one - but we've made a number of updates concerning the strong numbers, so happy to check with David IB from Tyndale House if these have been updates have been published yet.
Cheers
Chris