New Latvian NT looks weird

mjdenham
Hi,

The new version of the Latvian NT seems very unusual with lots of unexpected characters when displayed in And Bible.  Could somebody check it?

Thanks
Martin

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

Jonathan Marsden
On 10/29/2011 12:40 PM, Martin Denham wrote:

> The new version of the Latvian NT seems very unusual with lots of
> unexpected characters when displayed in And Bible.  Could somebody
> check it?

It (Latvian New Testament, version 1.1) looks similarly mangled in both
diatheke and BibleTime 2.8.1 under Linux here.  Maybe some kind of
character set conversion issue??

Jonathan

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

Martin,

The one documented change between v1.3 and 1.4 related to fixing references.
An undocumented change is that many verses now have some blanks at end of line.

The module displays OK in Xiphos.

Does And Bible have a problem with [any of] these characters:

000100 Ā LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON 114
000101 ā LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH MACRON 23,615
00010C Č LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CARON 4
00010D č LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CARON 157
000112 Ē LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH MACRON 28
000113 ē LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH MACRON 13,501
000122 Ģ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA 5
000123 ģ LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA 429
00012A Ī LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH MACRON 21
00012B ī LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH MACRON 14,677
000136 Ķ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER K WITH CEDILLA 34
000137 ķ LATIN SMALL LETTER K WITH CEDILLA 612
00013B Ļ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH CEDILLA 13
00013C ļ LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH CEDILLA 2,877
000145 Ņ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH CEDILLA 15
000146 ņ LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH CEDILLA 7,863
000160 Š LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON 152
000161 š LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON 6,814
00016A Ū LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH MACRON 2
00016B ū LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON 5,772
00017D Ž LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON 16
00017E ž LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON 946

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

The character frequencies in my earlier reply were based on the output of diatheke.exe

Are we sure this is not just a fonts issue on your platforms?

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?

Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf file is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4

David

PS. One further difference I just spotted is that milestones were used for chapter elements.
They weren't as far as I could tell for version 1.3

This change is not textual, so it would not have affected display of characters.

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

mjdenham
Here is a link to a screen-print so you can see what it looks like:

I checked the conf file and it is version 1.4.

Martin

On 29 October 2011 21:36, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?

Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf file
is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4

David

PS. One further difference I just spotted is that milestones were used for
chapter elements.
They weren't as far as I could tell for version 1.3

This change is not textual, so it would not have affected display of
characters.

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

DM Smith-5
Martin,
Thanks for posting an image. What you are seeing in AndBible is definitely wrong. Using the nightly build of Bible Desktop, it looks correct. I compared it to an independent website.

I think that for whatever reason, the code is interpreting it as cp1252, not UTF-8. The conf clearly gives the encoding as UTF-8.

In Him,
DM

On 10/29/2011 01:36 PM, David Haslam wrote:

> Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?

No specific version or specific repository was stated.  So, I (perhaps
naively?) did the "obvious" quick test, and just installed the version
currently in the repository.  I then noted the version I had tested, in
part as a gentle hint that specifying versions is a good idea in this
kind of discussion and testing :)

> Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf
> file is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4

Referring to modules under test as "the new module" and "the previous
version" is, IMO, potentially ambiguous...  for improved clarity, I'd
suggest either the module name and version, or a URL pointing to where
it can be downloaded, so others can easily test with the exact same file.

Jonathan

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

mjdenham
Is there a copy of 1.3 anywhere?  Only 1.1 is in the attic.

Martin

On 30 October 2011 05:40, Jonathan Marsden <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/29/2011 01:36 PM, David Haslam wrote:

> Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?

No specific version or specific repository was stated.  So, I (perhaps
naively?) did the "obvious" quick test, and just installed the version
currently in the repository.  I then noted the version I had tested, in
part as a gentle hint that specifying versions is a good idea in this
kind of discussion and testing :)

> Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf
> file is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4

Referring to modules under test as "the new module" and "the previous
version" is, IMO, potentially ambiguous...  for improved clarity, I'd
suggest either the module name and version, or a URL pointing to where
it can be downloaded, so others can easily test with the exact same file.

Jonathan

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

Chris Little-2
No. What is in attic was formerly in public. What is in public was
formerly in beta. 1.3 was a version that appeared only in beta and was
updated to 1.4 as a result of bug reports.

--Chris

On 10/31/11 12:50 PM, Martin Denham wrote:

> Is there a copy of 1.3 anywhere?  Only 1.1 is in the attic.
>
> Martin
>
> On 30 October 2011 05:40, Jonathan Marsden <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/29/2011 01:36 PM, David Haslam wrote:
>
>      > Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?
>

>     No specific version or specific repository was stated.  So, I (perhaps
>     naively?) did the "obvious" quick test, and just installed the version
>     currently in the repository.  I then noted the version I had tested, in
>     part as a gentle hint that specifying versions is a good idea in this
>     kind of discussion and testing :)
>
>      > Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf
>      > file is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4
>
>     Referring to modules under test as "the new module" and "the previous
>     version" is, IMO, potentially ambiguous...  for improved clarity, I'd
>     suggest either the module name and version, or a URL pointing to where
>     it can be downloaded, so others can easily test with the exact same
>     file.
>
>     Jonathan

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

mjdenham
Thanks for the input everybody however for some reason the Latvian NT now seems to have started displaying correctly on And Bible but I don't know why.

I tried various things this evening i) manually installing directly from sword/raw instead of rawzip but the display was still incorrect ii) specifying specific Latvian fonts and the display was still wrong iii) at some point I restarted and the display improved iv) removed the Latvian fonts and restarted and then the display was perfect.

I will ask a Latvian user to take a look.

Thanks also to whoever did all the fixes to the Latvian NT.

Thanks
Martin

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   On 10/29/2011 01:36 PM, David Haslam wrote:

    > Jonathan - why the reference to Latvian version 1.1 ?

   No specific version or specific repository was stated.  So, I (perhaps
   naively?) did the "obvious" quick test, and just installed the version
   currently in the repository.  I then noted the version I had tested, in
   part as a gentle hint that specifying versions is a good idea in this
   kind of discussion and testing :)

    > Martin was referring to the "new module" (which according to the conf
    > file is SwordVersionDate=2011-10-26 and Version=1.4

   Referring to modules under test as "the new module" and "the previous
   version" is, IMO, potentially ambiguous...  for improved clarity, I'd
   suggest either the module name and version, or a URL pointing to where
   it can be downloaded, so others can easily test with the exact same
   file.

   Jonathan

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

Chris Little-2
 From the sound of it, there was some problem with an older version of
the .conf with the newer module files. I'm not sure whether that was
somehow my fault (due to the way the files get
noticed/announced/packaged by the server) or if it indicates a bug in an
install manager that is allowing older .confs to stay installed after
they were suppose to be updated.

Feedback from Latvian users would be great, but this should be identical
to the module that appeared in the beta repository, so if that was
satisfactory, this should be too.

--Chris

On 11/1/2011 12:51 PM, Martin Denham wrote:

> Thanks for the input everybody however for some reason the Latvian NT
> now seems to have started displaying correctly on And Bible but I don't
> know why.
>
> I tried various things this evening i) manually installing directly from
> sword/raw instead of rawzip but the display was still incorrect ii)
> specifying specific Latvian fonts and the display was still wrong iii)
> at some point I restarted and the display improved iv) removed the
> Latvian fonts and restarted and then the display was perfect.
>
> I will ask a Latvian user to take a look.
>
> Thanks also to whoever did all the fixes to the Latvian NT.
>
> Thanks
> Martin

Re: New Latvian NT looks weird

mjdenham
Hi,

A Latvian contact (Martins) has been using the updated module and he is very pleased - everything looks good.

Thanks
Martin

On 2 November 2011 08:31, Chris Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
From the sound of it, there was some problem with an older version of the .conf with the newer module files. I'm not sure whether that was somehow my fault (due to the way the files get noticed/announced/packaged by the server) or if it indicates a bug in an install manager that is allowing older .confs to stay installed after they were suppose to be updated.

[...]

David Haslam
It's sad that we don't yet have the complete Bible.  The module requests page in our wiki includes:

The complete Latvian Bible (1997). Currently, the Latvian version which is on the CrossWire repository is NT only, and is not commonly used. Jānis Veinbergs has sent an email to the Latvian Bible Society.

Has there been any further response?

cf. Jānis Veinbergs last wrote to this mailing list in January 2010.

Maybe Martin's Latvian contact could volunteer to pursue the copyright lobbying on behalf of CrossWire?

David