Marking pre-verse titles?

David Haslam
The wiki page describes how to mark pre-verse titles.
See http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles#Marking_pre-verse_titles

Trouble is that in the example provided, one of the attributes does not validate against the OSIS 2.1.1 schema.

The example given is
         <verse osisID="Ps.3.1" sID="Ps.3.1" n="1"/>
         <title canonical="true" subType="x-preverse" type="section">A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.</title>
         <verse eID="Ps.3.1"/>
Validating this within an otherwise valid OSIS XML file reports as follows:
      Value 'section' does not match any member types (of the union).

This prompts the obvious question, should the attribute value be
"x-section"
 rather than
"section"
 ?

And if not, why not?

btw. Is there anything else in this wiki page that might need further attention?

Re: Marking pre-verse titles?

DM Smith-5
David,
Can you provide more information? See below:

In Him,
     DM
On 10/20/2011 09:27 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> The wiki page describes how to mark pre-verse titles.
> See http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles#Marking_pre-verse_titles
>
> Trouble is that in the example provided, one of the attributes does not
> validate against the OSIS 2.1.1 schema.

Which attribute is problematic? At a glance it looks good to me.

> The example given is

What belongs here?

> Validating this within an otherwise valid OSIS XML file reports as follows:

What belongs here?

> This prompts the obvious question, should the attribute value be  rather
> than  ?
What fills in the blank?

> And if not, why not?
>
> btw. Is there anything else in this wiki page that might need further
> attention?
>
> David

 ?

Re: Marking pre-verse titles?

DM Smith-5
On 10/20/2011 10:40 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> Evidently some folk could not read the original message, part of which read:
>
> Trouble is that in the example provided, one of the attributes does not
> validate against the OSIS 2.1.1 schema.
>
> The example given is
>
>           <verse osisID="Ps.3.1" sID="Ps.3.1" n="1"/>
>           <title canonical="true" subType="x-preverse" type="section">A Psalm
> of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.</title>
>           <verse eID="Ps.3.1"/>
>
> Validating this within an otherwise valid OSIS XML file reports as follows:
>
>        Value 'section' does not match any member types (of the union).
>

> This prompts the obvious question, should the attribute value be
>
> "x-section"
>
>   rather than
>
> "section"
>
>   ?

It could be x-section, but it'd be better to be absent or one of the
allowable choices.

The title's type value is ignored by the SWORD engine. It is used by
osis2mod when the title is before the first verse in a chapter. Here are
those rules, taken from osis2mod:
                 // 2) Between the opening of a chapter and the first
verse, the material is split between the introduction of the chapter
                 //    and the first verse of the chapter.
                 //    A <div> with a type of section will be taken as
surrounding verses.
                 //    A <title> of type other than main, chapter or
sub, will be taken as a title for the verse.
                 //    Once one of these conditions is met, the division
between chapter introduction and pre-verse is set.
Everywhere else in osis2mod, it is ignored.

Currently, the SWORD engine uses subType="x-preverse" to know that the
verse number should follow the heading.

There is code in there that is supposed to recognize everything between
two markers as being pre-verse material, but it does not work. When that
works, the subType="x-preverse" should not be needed. (It shouldn't be
needed now as osis2mod knows when a title is pre-verse and can mark it
as such.)

Hope this helps.

In Him,
      DM

Re: Marking pre-verse titles?

Ben Morgan-2
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM, David Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Evidently some folk could not read the original message, part of which read:

This seems to happen because fixed width text doesn't get through Nabble into the email list (it's been observable with your emails for a while). Is there a reason you don't use it as an email list rather than using Nabble?

God Bless,
Ben

Re: Marking pre-verse titles?

David Haslam
The main reason for me using Nabble is convenience. Plus it's especially useful for searching purposes.

Like most active people, I have more than enough emails to deal with as it is.
i.e. Using either my main ISP with Thunderbird or using my gmail address online.

Although I was aware that on rare occasions a whole message fails to reach the list,
this is the first time I've been made aware that text wrapped between <raw> and </raw> gets removed.

I'll try to remember this in future.  Thanks for heads up.

David

PS. In the above text, to defeat the markup, I replaced the less than sign by the equivalent HTML entity.

Re: Marking pre-verse titles?

Thanks DM.

For convenience, I've just pasted your notes into http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_pre-verse_titles

The new page is linked from http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles#Marking_pre-verse_titles

If the osis2mod bug gets solved, we can easily edit these pages.

David