Quantcast

ESV vs ESV

Peter Von Kaehne
In the light of David's comments on the other thread I have now
transitioned our ESV modules to following:

The old ESV module reflecting the text of 2001 is reissued as ESV2001,
obsoleting the ESV. No other changes, same files, minor conf change.

The new ESV module is now reissued as ESV2011, obsoleting ESV and ESVS.

The superfluous files have been removed and the conf has been cleaned
up.

I am aware of some encoding differences between our ESV2011 and the one
of Tyndale, but unless we get send the Tyndale module to publish I
think we need to stick to what we have. We can always update further.
We also need some clarity re the 2001 - whether we should drop it or
not, I do not know. Troy might have an opinion here

Peter

Re: ESV vs ESV

Chris Burrell
Hi Peter

Tyndale House would be very happy to send you the module. I believe we've sent it to DM in the past - shout if you want it again. From recollection I think AndBible is also using ours.

The process for building it is to take the ESV from XML, and then we run some automation to enhance the XML with the strong numbers.

Chris

On 16 May 2017 at 15:44, Peter von Kaehne <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the light of David's comments on the other thread I have now
transitioned our ESV modules to following:

The old ESV module reflecting the text of 2001 is reissued as ESV2001,
obsoleting the ESV. No other changes, same files, minor conf change.

The new ESV module is now reissued as ESV2011, obsoleting ESV and ESVS.

The superfluous files have been removed and the conf has been cleaned
up.

I am aware of some encoding differences between our ESV2011 and the one
of Tyndale, but unless we get send the Tyndale module to publish I
think we need to stick to what we have. We can always update further.
We also need some clarity re the 2001 - whether we should drop it or
not, I do not know. Troy might have an opinion here

Peter

Re: ESV vs ESV

Peter Von Kaehne
Yes, please!

Peter

Re: ESV vs ESV

David Haslam
I have already sent Peter my copy of the ESV-THE module which I had renamed as ESV_THE because of the invalid hyphen in the module name.

NB. When I renamed my copy, I didn't increment the version number.

This module was downloaded from STEP on 2017-01-24 and installed in my PC on 2017-01-25.
It was included in STEP_installers+20Bibles.zip but it's also in the other two larger collections.

It has SwordVersionDate=2015-02-27 and is version 2.0
NB. The Strong's numbers were already different than in the older module Peter obtained from Martin.

Questions for Chris Burrell:

Have there been any further updates to the ESV-THE module since then?

Does TH have a formal procedure to ensure that the downloadable Zip collections are kept up to date?
 * STEP_installers+20Bibles.zip
 * STEP_installers+200Bibles.zip
 * STEP_installers+450Bibles.zip
See https://www.stepbible.org/downloads.jsp

When will TH be correcting the module names for all those that have the invalid hyphen?
See https://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files

Best regards,

Re: ESV vs ESV

Chris Burrell
Hi David

For the sake of the thread, a recap of the offline conversation

In terms of the questions below:
* have there been any updates? That's a question for Tyndale House rather than me. I've emailed him off thread and copied you in.
* do we have a formal procedure - yet but manual and as a result infrequent. So we're moving towards something much more sustainable
* when? when time allows I'm afraid is the best thing I can offer. I'm working on that and one other project at the moment.

I'd be very happy to offer greater detail to anyone who wants it.
Thanks
Chris