ESV modules and Tyndale House

David Haslam
The ESV module on CrossWire Main is based on the Crossway Bibles 2001 Version.

Our friends at Tyndale House (STEP Bible) have distribution rights for their own ESV module (Tyndale House Edition - complete with Strongs numbers) and this is based on the Crossway Bibles 2011 Version.

I feel that we ought to do something to distinguish the two ESV modules more clearly to show by their names that they are based on different published versions from Crossway.

e.g. Rename our older module to ESV2001, etc.

What advice do you have?

Further thoughts:

It would make sense for Tyndale House to create and maintain a proper modules repository for those they have made in-house and for which they have secured distribution rights independently. If this could be done successfully, then we could add their repository to our Master Repositories List.

Currently their modules can for the most part be readily installed directly into STEP Bible.
Installing them into other JSword front-ends may require a degree of user knowledge and actions.
Installing them into some SWORD front-ends may require even more.

I am in regular contact with the STEP Bible Development Team, so your input can be readily conveyed to them by private email if that's deemed necessary. And they are members of this mailing list too.

Best regards,

Re: ESV modules and Tyndale House

fred smith
On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 09:58:12AM -0800, David Haslam wrote:

> The ESV module on CrossWire Main is based on the Crossway Bibles 2001
> Version.
>
> Our friends at Tyndale House (STEP Bible) have distribution rights for their
> own ESV module (Tyndale House Edition - complete with Strongs numbers) and
> this is based on the Crossway Bibles 2011 Version.
>
> I feel that we ought to do something to distinguish the two ESV modules more
> clearly to show by their names that they are based on different published
> versions from Crossway.

I find that I have an ESV-THE module installed in Xiphos. I cannot tell
from which repo I obtained it, as none of the currently-configured repos
seems to offer it.

but I'm guessing that ESV-THE must be the STEP module you speak of.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.

Re: ESV modules and Tyndale House

David Haslam
Hi Fred,

If you have STEP Bible installed, it's very likely that it came with that.
STEP uses the same Sword path as other front-ends, so Xiphos would also find it there.

There were five or six modules from TH containing the hyphen, and they will soon be renamed.

If you'd had xiphos (aka MK 31.4) also installed as I do, then xiphos would have "difficulties" with the hyphen in the invalid module name. (It's a show stopper!).

Provisonally therefore, I renamed all the installed modules in my PC that had an invalid module name containing (either) a hyphen (or a space - not from TH this one), and changed the DataPath and corresponding folder name accordingly. Now xulsword opens without error popups!

The likely new name for their ESV module is ESV_2011_TH - though I'm waiting confirmation of this.
Other modules will be renamed too.

One further thing to watch for is that any module whose Abbreviation matches the module Name or Abbreviation of another module can lead to unexpected effects in some front-ends. We already state this in our wiki page abount .conf files. And yes - I have seen strange things happen!

Best regards,

Re: ESV modules and Tyndale House

David Haslam
This sparse comment serves merely to bring the earlier thread to your attention, following Peter's announcement of the ESVS module being released.

David