About database sql

Cyrille
Hi,
I have a friend who wrote a database with the bible text of the catholic
liturgical calendar. It's very interesting for use Catholics, he  wrote
it for mysword. I would like to know how to use it with sword and
frontend. And if it's not possible how to write a liturgical calendar?
Thank you for help, BR Cyrille

lectionnaire.sql.xz (60K) Download Attachment

Re: About database sql

David Haslam
Hi Cyrille,

The .sql database within the .xz attachment is encrypted, so we cannot examine its contents without the key.

If you do manage to obtain the key from your friend, you might wish to try opening the .sql file using the free utility called DB Browser for SQLlite available from http://sqlitebrowser.org/

It has an option to export a table as a CSV file.

A lectionary is a similar concept to a Daily Devotional, so you would need to devise a means to convert the data to suitable input format for building a Daily Devotional module for SWORD.

Best regards,

Re: About database sql

Cyrille

Le 07/08/2017 à 13:00, David Haslam a écrit :
> Hi Cyrille,
>
> The .sql database within the .xz attachment is encrypted, so we cannot
> examine its contents without the key.
Sorry ! I convert it to txt.

> If you do manage to obtain the key from your friend, you might wish to try
> opening the .sql file using the free utility called *DB Browser for SQLlite*
> available from http://sqlitebrowser.org/
>
> It has an option to export a table as a CSV file.
>
> A lectionary is a similar concept to a Daily Devotional, so you would need
> to devise a means to convert the data to suitable input format for building
> a Daily Devotional module for SWORD.
Osis is used for Daily Devotional?

> Best regards,
>
> David

lectionnaire.txt.zip (74K) Download Attachment

Re: About database sql

Dominique Corbex
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?

Hi Cyrille!

A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
"12.31" for December 31st.

You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
$$$01.01
$$$01.02

Or the TEI encoding:
https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries

Dominique
--
domcox <[hidden email]>

Re: About database sql

Cyrille
Thank you!
The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Le 07/08/2017 à 16:45, Dominique Corbex a écrit :

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
> Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?
> Hi Cyrille!
>
> A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
> you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
> "12.31" for December 31st.
>
> You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
> $$$01.01
> $$$01.02
>
> Or the TEI encoding:
> https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries
>

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

Peter von Kaehne
What do you mean? The software chooses the correct entry for each day, based on the system date.

Peter

Sent from my mobile. Please forgive shortness, typos and weird autocorrects.

The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Le 07/08/2017 à 16:45, Dominique Corbex a écrit :
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
> Cyrille wrote:
>
>> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?
> Hi Cyrille!
>
> A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
> you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
> "12.31" for December 31st.
>
> You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
> $$$01.01

Family Reading: Genesis 1

Family Reading: Matthew 1

Secret Reading: Ezra 1

Secret Reading: Acts 1
> $$$01.02
>
> Or the TEI encoding:
> https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries
>

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

Dominique Corbex
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:51:53 +0100
Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Why not make a Devotional file by year, I mean Lectionnaire-2017, Lectionnaire-2018?
Each one with its 365/366 entries?

Dominique
--
domcox <[hidden email]>

Re: About database sql

Michael H
Yes, that's an interesting question.. This isn't about just the Julian calendar, The liturgical calendar is based on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (also known as Easter.) This calendar is used to some degree by almost all modern daily reading plans, not just Catholic (it has "holidays" Easter/Christmas, etc. At a minimum any digital reading plan should be able to detect it's Easter.)

There should be a way to encode these into a daily reading so front ends deal with the date.  There are only about 21 or so possibilities, but there are that many. (The 3rd set of 7 depends on whether or not the calendar recognizes the 50th year jubiliee, if I remember right)

There are really only 2 anchors: days before christmas but aware of the weekday (last sunday before Christmas...) and days after christmas (anchored on the Julian calendar.). and Separately some days count days before easter and days after easter (which are always in sync with the weekday, but vary on the day of the year.), Full version for catholic has other feast days that really go with days before Christmas (julian Calendar anchored.) if the calendar recognizes the Jubilee it's just a bit different on that year (I don't remember how, just that there was a component to the math.)

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you!
The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Le 07/08/2017 à 16:45, Dominique Corbex a écrit :
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
> Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?
> Hi Cyrille!
>
> A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
> you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
> "12.31" for December 31st.
>
> You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
> $$$01.01
> $$$01.02
>
> Or the TEI encoding:
> https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries
>

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

Cyrille

Le 07/08/2017 à 22:03, Dominique Corbex a écrit :
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:51:53 +0100
> Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?
> Why not make a Devotional file by year, I mean Lectionnaire-2017, Lectionnaire-2018?
> Each one with its 365/366 entries?
It's a possibility, that need to be done all years... Why not. Michael,
give some explanation about my difficulties. About the liturgical
feasts. Examples: the biblical text is distributed according to even and
odd years. For the Sundays we have 3 different years A for Matthew, B
for Luke, C for Mark. We have the specials periods of the years as Lent
and Advent... But we don't have the problem about the jubilee.

My question is: is it possible to create a calendar that can be "adjust"
himself with the date? If it's not possible, than we can do for each
year or an independent one and people who wants to use it looks for the
corresponding days...

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

Cyrille,

OSIS can indeed be used as the SourceType for Daily Devotionals (as an alternative to TEI).

Two example (of English DD) modules are SME and DBD.

Both of these are Zip compressed with ModDrv=zLD.

cf. Many of the other DD modules have SourceType=ThML and are not compressed.

Is it right to assume that the source text can still be input using IMP format, but with each markup item done with OSIS elements and attributes instead of ThML elements?

Best regards,

Re: About database sql

Cyrille
Is it possible to download an osis devotional template (ex DBD)?

Le 08/08/2017 à 02:40, Michael H a écrit :
Yes, that's an interesting question.. This isn't about just the Julian calendar, The liturgical calendar is based on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (also known as Easter.) This calendar is used to some degree by almost all modern daily reading plans, not just Catholic (it has "holidays" Easter/Christmas, etc. At a minimum any digital reading plan should be able to detect it's Easter.)

There should be a way to encode these into a daily reading so front ends deal with the date.  There are only about 21 or so possibilities, but there are that many. (The 3rd set of 7 depends on whether or not the calendar recognizes the 50th year jubiliee, if I remember right)

There are really only 2 anchors: days before christmas but aware of the weekday (last sunday before Christmas...) and days after christmas (anchored on the Julian calendar.). and Separately some days count days before easter and days after easter (which are always in sync with the weekday, but vary on the day of the year.), Full version for catholic has other feast days that really go with days before Christmas (julian Calendar anchored.) if the calendar recognizes the Jubilee it's just a bit different on that year (I don't remember how, just that there was a component to the math.)

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you!
The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Le 07/08/2017 à 16:45, Dominique Corbex a écrit :
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
> Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?
> Hi Cyrille!
>
> A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
> you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
> "12.31" for December 31st.
>
> You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
> $$$01.01
> $$$01.02
>
> Or the TEI encoding:
> https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries
>

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

Peter von Kaehne
I guess this comes down to having a reliable algorithm to calculate lectionary position from current date. And do this presumably for any number of different liturgical calendars.

As far as sword goes, this is not in the library so far and any workaround currently would be an annual reissueing of a devotional, adjusted to the current year.

I guess there is mileage in changing this, but a reliable algorithm is needed first.

Sent from my mobile. Please forgive shortness, typos and weird autocorrects.

Is it possible to download an osis devotional template (ex DBD)?

Le 08/08/2017 à 02:40, Michael H a écrit :
Yes, that's an interesting question.. This isn't about just the Julian calendar, The liturgical calendar is based on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (also known as Easter.) This calendar is used to some degree by almost all modern daily reading plans, not just Catholic (it has "holidays" Easter/Christmas, etc. At a minimum any digital reading plan should be able to detect it's Easter.)

There should be a way to encode these into a daily reading so front ends deal with the date.  There are only about 21 or so possibilities, but there are that many. (The 3rd set of 7 depends on whether or not the calendar recognizes the 50th year jubiliee, if I remember right)

There are really only 2 anchors: days before christmas but aware of the weekday (last sunday before Christmas...) and days after christmas (anchored on the Julian calendar.). and Separately some days count days before easter and days after easter (which are always in sync with the weekday, but vary on the day of the year.), Full version for catholic has other feast days that really go with days before Christmas (julian Calendar anchored.) if the calendar recognizes the Jubilee it's just a bit different on that year (I don't remember how, just that there was a component to the math.)

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you!
The problem is it changes all years... Any proposition?

Le 07/08/2017 à 16:45, Dominique Corbex a écrit :
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:16:45 +0100
> Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Osis is used for Daily Devotional?
> Hi Cyrille!
>
> A Daily Devotional is actually a Dictionary, a special dictionary as
> you must encode the key as "mm.dd", such as "01.01" for January 1st and
> "12.31" for December 31st.
>
> You have the choice between the IMP encoding:
> $$$01.01
> $$$01.02
>
> Or the TEI encoding:
> https://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries
>

> Dominique

Re: About database sql

You'd probably gain enough knowledge by installing BDB and running mod2imp on it with the output directed to a file.

Re: About database sql

Cyrille
You wrote BDB, but I think you want to write DBD?
Ok, I tested mod2osis without success.
Now with mod2imp if I run:
mod2imp .sword/modules/lexdict/zld/devotionals/dbd/dbd.ztx -r OSIS

It gives me the return:
mod2imp: Couldn't find module:
.sword/modules/lexdict/zld/devotionals/dbd/dbd.ztx

I use ../dbd/ and /dbd/dbd.ztx
What the good path? How to use correctly mod2imp?
Thanks for help!

Le 12/08/2017 à 09:08, David Haslam a écrit :

> You'd probably gain enough knowledge by installing BDB and running *mod2imp*
> on it with the output directed to a file.
>
> David

Re: About database sql

David Haslam
Sword utilities generally assume the current directory is the sword path.

(I have a symbolic link to the folder where the utils are stored in my PC.)

The command line argument for mod2imp is just the module name (case-sensitive).

You don't need to use the option -r OSIS, as you wish to see the complete raw data.

So for example:

utils\mod2imp DBD

outputs the DBD module contents in IMP format to the console.

(I assume you know how to redirect the output to a text file.)

Re: About database sql

Cyrille

Le 12/08/2017 à 11:03, David Haslam a écrit :
> Sword utilities generally assume the current directory is the sword path.
I use now "mod2imp dbd" no result, but dbd is in
/usr/share/sword/modules... In the good place!! Need I the administrator
rights to execute mod2imp? I tested with a bible module and it runs!
Maybe the devotional folder is not the good one?

> (I have a symbolic link to the folder where the utils are stored in my PC.)
>
> The command line argument for mod2imp is just the module name
> (case-sensitive).
>
> You don't need to use the option -r OSIS, as you wish to see the complete
> raw data.
>
> So for example:
>
> utils\mod2imp DBD
>
> outputs the DBD module contents in IMP format to the console.
>
> (I assume you know how to redirect the output to a text file.)
>
> David

Re: About database sql

DM Smith-5
Try DBD not dbd. I think it is case sensitive. Using the [NAME] at the top of the conf.

DM

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Cyrille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Le 12/08/2017 à 11:03, David Haslam a écrit :
>> Sword utilities generally assume the current directory is the sword path.
> I use now "mod2imp dbd" no result, but dbd is in
> /usr/share/sword/modules... In the good place!! Need I the administrator
> rights to execute mod2imp? I tested with a bible module and it runs!
> Maybe the devotional folder is not the good one?
>>
>> (I have a symbolic link to the folder where the utils are stored in my PC.)
>>
>> The command line argument for mod2imp is just the module name
>> (case-sensitive).
>>
>> You don't need to use the option -r OSIS, as you wish to see the complete
>> raw data.
>>
>> So for example:
>>
>> utils\mod2imp DBD
>>
>> outputs the DBD module contents in IMP format to the console.
>>
>> (I assume you know how to redirect the output to a text file.)
>>
>> David

Re: About database sql

Cyrille
Yes ! It's DBD, but the folder named dbd this why I did the mistake.
Thanks.